Saturday, September 22, 2012

Vegging Out

 
Saturday, September 22, 2012 – Vegging Out



After two days of subbing at AHS (yes, on Thursday and Friday, I was once again in front of an ESOL class), I needed to veg out in a major way.  How fortuitous that the DC Vegfest was taking place on Saturday at Yards Park.  After splurging at home on a non-veggie lunch of smoked salmon terrine and goat brie, I hopped on the Metro for a ride into DC.  It was a great day to be out by the waterfront:  lots of sunshine, lots of people, lots of dogs, and lots and lots of exhibitors.  There was no need to stand in long lines waiting to buy food when there were plenty of exhibitors giving away free samples of their products, ranging from chips, beans, and grains to seitan products and baked goods.  It took nearly an hour to work my way through the entire area, snacking on samples as I went along.  In addition to some of my old favorites (Gardein meat-free entrees, Daiya dairy-free “cheese,” and TastyBite Indian dishes), I discovered Cruncha-ma-me (freeze-dried edamame), Coconut Bliss “ice cream,” and Three Sisters Chili from Rethought Beans.  I even took a sip of The Vegg – the world’s first vegan egg yolk.  (Amazingly, it was indistinguishable from the real thing.)  Now I have a bunch of coupons to bring along on my next grocery shopping trip.  And I was feeling so vegified when I got home that I whipped up a pot of kale and bean soup for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment