Thursday, September 19, 2013

Grains 101: A is for Amaranth


September 19, 2013 – Grains 101:  A is for Amaranth

In the past few years, in an attempt to incorporate more whole grains into my diet, I’ve expanded my grain repertoire to include quinoa, farro, bulgur, whole wheat couscous, pearled barley, and three varieties of brown rice (jasmine, basmati, and short-grain).  They reside in glass Mason jars on a shelf in my kitchen, alongside the dozen or so jars of different kinds of dried beans.  The shelf is crowded enough already, but my recent cooking class convinced me to add a few more whole grains to the collection. 

After yesterday’s shopping expedition to Mom’s Organic Market, I was ready to get started on my exploration of five less familiar grains:  kamut, hulled barley, spelt, amaranth, and millet.  I set out five plastic bags on the butcher block island in the kitchen.  The contents ranged from tiny seeds to long rice-like grains.  According to Lorna Sass’s book, Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen, each was full of important nutrients.  In addition, each had a distinctive flavor and texture.  I was eager to cook them all, and was wondering where to begin.  The answer seemed logical:  try them in alphabetical order.  Therefore, I would start with amaranth. 

The featherweight amaranth grains (the size of mustard seeds) bounced all over the counter when I poured them out of the bag to measure one cup.  According to Lorna Sass, amaranth is an ancient Aztec grain that has a porridge-like consistency when cooked.  She describes its “irresistible aroma,” reminiscent of corn.  That made me really excited about trying it, which is probably why I neglected to absorb the import of another statement by the author, noting that amaranth is “definitely an acquired taste.”  I just shrugged it off, thinking, how could a grain taste bad? 

In any case, I followed one of her suggestions, cooking the amaranth along with chopped onion and garlic.  When it reached a soupy consistency, I added salt, pepper, parsley, diced green beans and tomatoes for additional flavor and texture.  The aroma didn’t remind me of corn, but the mixture looked interesting, and I was optimistic as I scooped up a spoonful to taste.  It was, well, unusual would be a fair descriptor.  Let me just say that everyone should try amaranth – once.  I ate plenty of it for dinner, but I wouldn’t dare inflict it on Elliott.  I now have a large container of this goopy stuff hiding out in my refrigerator.  Or maybe I should put it out for the birds to nibble on.  

Amaranth looks good, but....
So, in summary, A is for Amaranth, and for Acquired Taste.  Wish me better luck with B (for barley, the kind with the hull intact). 

No comments:

Post a Comment