Tuesday, October 29, 2013

First Quarter Report Card


Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013 – First Quarter Report Card

Where does the time go?  Here it is, the end of October, and the first quarter of the school year ends this week.  And here’s some very distressing news:  It appears that I’m flunking retirement.  Yes, my first quarter report card will probably show an “F” for retirement.  Why would I be failing?  Not enough effort, I suppose.  Instead of going out to play, I’ve been going to work instead.  Just this one month, I’ve subbed twelve days at AHS.

I’m really quite upset.  I haven’t gotten a failing grade on my report card since my 7th grade music class with Mr. Favale.  How I detested that horrid man, but the “F” I received was all it took to convince my parents to buy a piano so I could take lessons and learn something about music.  This time, Elliott is stepping into the role of conscientious parent/guardian.  He’s putting pressure on me to give my retirement the attention it deserves.  I’ve promised him I’ll do all I can to improve my grade.  I didn’t tell him, however, that I already have seven sub days on my calendar for November.  What can I say?  My only excuse is pretty weak:  bad habits are hard to break.  It sounds like I’ll have to do some homework.  I’ll have to practice saying “no” when teachers ask me to sub for them. 

In the meantime, I will try to enjoy my “free” day tomorrow, which will be devoted to two medical appointments (one for me and one for Elliott), visiting my mother, taking my MOB (mother of the bride) dress to the tailor for hemming, and various other fun activities.  At least I’ll have more time to spend with Elliott.  He’s had a rough couple of weeks – more pain in his back despite his medication.  We went to an orchestra concert on Sunday afternoon and he was very uncomfortable after the first hour.  In addition, he’s been experiencing more problems with his vision.  It has gotten to the point where he struggles to read the newspaper, even with his magnifying glass.  It’s frustrating to realize that’s there no real cure for old age.  Somehow, this remarkable man manages to retain his joie-de-vivre.  If only we could all be so fortunate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment