Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Polar Express


Tuesday, January 7, 2013 – The Polar Express

Ready for the Polar Vortex
Welcome to Washington, home of the “Weather Wimps.”  Here in the DC area, we’re getting our first taste of the weather phenomenon dubbed the Polar Vortex.  It’s only fair that the nation’s capital should experience some of the extreme weather that has plagued much of the country for the past several weeks.  The meteorologists on our local TV stations have been salivating at the prospect of record-shattering weather conditions.  Now that the Polar Vortex has officially arrived in our area, I can finally commiserate with my friends and family in New York, Rochester, Chicago, Boston, and Concord, New Hampshire.  

The temperature this morning is 7 degrees (above zero).  Wind chill temperatures will fall into the negative range.  However, I don’t plan to stay inside all day.  In fact, I’ve already been outside, to pick up the newspaper at the end of the driveway.  Expecting an Arctic blast, I first bundled up in boots, puffy coat, gloves, and Nepalese hat.  After a minute of exposure to the elements, I reported back to Elliott, who was still toasty warm under the covers, that it really wasn’t so bad outside.  In fact, I’d describe it as bracing rather than bone-chillingly cold.

However, with forecasts calling for the lowest temperatures in decades, Fairfax County decided last night to cancel school today.  I guess the school kids should thank the new school superintendent, a transplant from Houston, Texas, for this gift.  I wasn’t surprised by the cancellation.  At the first mention of snow, people flock to supermarkets to stock up on milk and other necessities.  An inch or two of the white stuff is enough to shut down Fairfax County schools for at least a day.  Our metro system can’t seem to run trains when there’s a bit of snow on the tracks.  Still, I welcome the wintry weather, as long as it’s gone by the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment