Friday, February 14, 2014

Hello, Snow!


Friday, February 14, 2014 – Hello, Snow!

A major winter storm finally arrived in the DC area on Wednesday night, bringing us at least a foot of snow before tapering off on Thursday evening.  At my insistence, Elliott relinquished his snow shoveling responsibilities several seasons ago.  Since then, I’ve used snow shoveling as a form of aerobic and muscle toning exercise.  While freezing rain was falling on Thursday morning, I braved the elements and managed to clear the driveway, from the garage all the way to the plowline at the street.  Three hours of lifting and dumping shovelsful of heavy wet snow left me sweaty and exhausted.  However, a cup of Trader Joe’s “Coffee a Cocoa” helped revive me.  (If you haven’t tried it, rush out to your nearest Trader Joe’s and get some!)

Coffee with a subtle hint of cocoa from Trader Joe's

The backyard after the big snow
 Today, I’m nursing a few sore muscles, but no serious aches or pains.  I was really glad to see the sun come up over the horizon as I was eating breakfast.  The backyard still has the pristine beauty that deep drifting snow brings to the winter landscape.  After breakfast, I was eager to get outside again to finish the cleanup (the steps up to the front door, and the additional inch or so of snow that fell on the driveway later on Thursday).    

While I was tackling snow yesterday and today, Elliott was hanging out in the cabinet under the kitchen sink, making detailed measurements and drawings of water lines, drains, etc.  I’m not sure how necessary this work is, but he certainly is enjoying himself.  We’re inching forward on the kitchen project with an appointment (our fifth?) at Lowe’s this afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment