Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Simple Life


May 1, 2014 – The Simple Life

It’s somewhat ironic that just as we’re gearing up for the fully equipped new kitchen that I’m finding such pleasure in my temporary mini-kitchen.  It has been a relief, in fact, to trade long hours at the stove and sink for quicker and simpler cooking and cleanup.  I’ve been quite content with the meals I’ve prepared using only the toaster oven and microwave.  Last night’s portabella mushrooms stuffed with garlicky spinach and topped with pizza sauce and shredded cheese was a snap to fix, and quite delicious.  Although I am quite satisfied with my new approach to meals, I’ve usually had to make completely different dinners for Elliott.  All I can say is thank goodness for the wide range of prepared foods at Trader Joe’s and Safeway. 

The kitchen work is moving along according to schedule.  The walls and ceiling will receive their final coat of paint today.  This is also the day for the cabinet delivery.  Elliott seems to be feeling well enough to stay very involved with the project.  Before the torrential rain of the past couple of days, we went for a long walk in Rutherford Park.  He felt good enough to walk for about 45 minutes along the trail through the woods – quite impressive!  He also joined me for a concert at George Mason University on Sunday evening.  So we have a lot to be happy about.  



May has arrived, the dogwoods are in bloom, and the colors of the azaleas are popping out all over.  Over the weekend, I was inspired to go out and purchase some new plants to put in the flowerbeds.  Every year, I try this with some trepidation because I have absolutely no talent for gardening.  Perhaps it’s genetic.  I suspect that I come from a long line of plant killers.  In any case, I was somewhat successful last year with annuals so this year I decided to take the plunge and go for perennials:  salvia, phlox, and dianthus (more commonly known as pinks). 

The flowering plants sat in pots for a few days before I worked up the nerve to put them in the ground.  Another reason I resist gardening is because I don’t really like getting all sweaty and muddy.  But once I put on an old pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and some super new gardening gloves, I actually enjoyed sitting in the dirt and getting to work.  The only problem was the rocks I encountered when I started to dig.  Many, many years ago, I’d gotten the idea of building a border of stones around the flowerbed.  I’d spent hours collecting stones from our backyard and hauling them to the front in a wheelbarrow.  Over the years, the stones that I’d so carefully arranged had gotten covered with layers of soil and mulch.  So before I could plant the new flowers, I had to de-rock the garden.  In case you’re in need of stones, I now have a wheelbarrow full of them that I’ll gladly give you.  For now, the new plants seem to be adjusting well to their new home.  My confidence is growing.  Next year, corn and tomatoes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment