Monday, July 21, 2014

Eureka!


July 21, 2014 – Eureka!

Warning – this post contains a graphic description of a medical procedure that may be disturbing to some readers.

At last, the likely culprit causing Elliott’s nasty infection has been found.  On Sunday afternoon, the surgeon re-opened the stitches, probed deeply (ouch), and discovered a thick splinter of wood, about one inch in length, embedded in the wound.  The extracted object is pictured below. 




Elliott was in quite a bit of pain afterwards and, of course, he’s continuing his intravenous antibiotics. We’re hopeful now that the redness and swelling will subside quickly.  A gigantic piece of red velvet cake (baked by our talented neighbor, Mike) seemed to be helping in his recovery.  

No word yet on when he will be home again.  It’s been a stressful time for me, as well.  At least I had my fused glass workshop on Sunday to keep my mind occupied.  I had my first taste of sandblasting, a tiring and time-consuming procedure.  The worst part is wearing the protective mask over my mouth and nose.  It makes me claustrophobic.  Matt and I are continuing to learn new techniques, and are developing ideas for a larger project.  

The sandblaster (glass piece goes inside, arms go in through the holes)

Sandblasted piece ready for intermediate firing

My "plaid" layered piece

Matt with some of his recent pieces

1 comment:

  1. Woah, how did that get in there? With that out of the way, Elliott should be feeling a lot better now. Both of you must have felt relieved when they yanked that out. I hope the infection did not last long after! And I'm sure that cake surely helped make him feel better! Take care!

    Javier Carol @ U.S. Healthworks, Everett (Broadway)

    ReplyDelete