Monday, March 2, 2015

Stepping Out


March 2, 2015 – Stepping Out

This post is short and sweet.  The news is good – Elliott has been out of the house three of the past four days.  Especially considering the weather, that’s pretty remarkable.  Last Friday, Marshall took him out for lunch with some longtime friends.  On Saturday, Elliott joined me for a celebration of Matt’s birthday at P.F. Chang’s.  We even managed to find a couple of relatively low-sodium options on the lunch menu.  I'm not sure if the chocolate-raspberry ravioli that we had for dessert were technically on the approved list, but it was a birthday.  And today, Elliott made a visit to the barbershop to clean up his scruffy image.  I’m starting to recognize him again, and not just because his beard and hair are neatly trimmed.  He’s finally showing some of his characteristic enthusiasm.  Yesterday, while sleet and freezing rain kept us housebound, Elliott’s enthusiasm was directed at working on tax returns.  Our teamwork was much calmer than I expected, and the session was quite productive.

A Thompson family tradition:  Celebrating Matt's birthday at P.F. Chang's

In other news, the war on salt continues, in conjunction with the war on sugar, flour, carbs, etc.  Fortunately, Elliott has been very cooperative about the changes he’s had to make in his diet.  We’re both encouraged that he’s showing no signs of fluid retention.  The reduced-everything regime is working for me, too.  I feel so much better (not that I felt bad before) and I’m finding it easier to keep my weight under control.  Of course, when the weather warms up, I’ll probably be eating in restaurants more often and that will present some challenges.  Sometimes I think about opening up my own healthy and delicious café, just so I’d have a place to eat out.  The idea that I’ve fantasized about is a combination bookstore/art gallery/restaurant.  I’d hang Elliott’s artwork on the walls, and use my fused glass pieces for serving.  If I were a few decades younger, maybe….

No comments:

Post a Comment