Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Call Me Grandma

July 29, 2015 – Call Me Grandma

I have a new name.  It’s Grandma Robin, and with it comes a whole new identity and an exciting new world.  Last week, I went up to Brooklyn to meet my new granddaughter, Sylvia Margot.  Exactly one week ago, I was holding her in my arms, gazing into her eyes, and falling hopelessly in love with Miss Sylvie.  Weighing 5 pounds, 6 ounces at birth, she is a tiny doll baby, bringing back memories of Elisa 30 years ago.  Also, like baby Elisa, Sylvie is sweet and cuddly.  Amazingly, over the course of four days, Sylvie became visibly bigger, stronger, and more alert.  Her determination to insert her thumb into her mouth is quite impressive for someone so young.  In case you haven’t yet noticed, I’m totally besotted with my new granddaughter!  

Grandma Robin and Miss Sylvie (1 week old)

When not holding Sylvie, I made myself useful to Elisa and Christian by doing grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, running errands, and doing laundry – all the things new parents are too exhausted to do.  Of course, both of them are still experiencing sleep deprivation and Elisa is recovering from a lengthy (30+ hours) labor.  Nothing can prepare you for the trauma that your body undergoes, and she’s also dealing with blood pressure issues. 

After a wonderful visit with the newest member of the family, it was time to get back home and tend to the oldest member of the family.  With only minimal assistance from Matt and Marshall, Elliott managed quite well during my absence.  In other words, he didn’t have any medical crises, he didn’t starve, and the house was still intact.  While he is proud of his self-sufficiency, he was eager to welcome me home.  I appreciate his thoughtfulness in postponing his next nosebleed until I returned. 

This week is devoted to catching up with appointments, mail, phone calls, bills, groceries, laundry, hair, etc.  I’ve already booked my bus ticket to New York for next week.  In the meantime, Grandma Robin has a request for Elisa and Christian:  Can you please set up a Sylvie Cam for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment