Saturday, October 17, 2015

Boo!


October 17, 2015 – Boo!

Congressional Cemetery, Washington, DC
It was a dark and stormy night – no, wait a minute.  I’m not writing fiction.  It was actually a typical October afternoon, with a bit of sun and a lot of clouds in the sky, as I approached Congressional Cemetery for a pre-Halloween visit.  This cemetery, in the southeastern quadrant of the District of Columbia, is the final resting place of ordinary Washingtonians and many notable figures from all walks of life.  They include members of Congress, architects, musicians, explorers, and veterans of every war fought since the cemetery was established in 1807.  John Phillip Sousa and J. Edgar Hoover are only a couple of the well known individuals buried in Congressional Cemetery.  
 
Approaching the cemetery’s entrance on E Street, I peered through the open ironwork fence at the cascade of hillsides strewn with gravestones.  A cloud passed momentarily in front of the sun.  A stiff breeze made me wish I’d wrapped a scarf around my neck.  Too late now.  I had arrived at the main gate of what was once called the “national burying ground.”  I hesitated.  The double gate was closed.  I took a step closer and found it wasn’t locked.  I pulled open the gate, stepped inside, and heard the heavy metallic clang as it shut behind me. 


What drew me to this particular cemetery was more than its history.  I was making this visit in large part because of its association with Elliott.   You see, during Elliott’s childhood, Congressional Cemetery served as a playground for Elliott and his fearless young friends.  His house on Potomac Avenue was just a few short blocks away.  Rather than using the main gate, the boys would climb over the brick wall on 17th Street to enter the cemetery.  The chunks of broken glass embedded in the top of the wall didn’t deter them.  They simply loosened them and removed them.  The cemetery’s grassy slopes and abundant stone markers were an ideal setting for games of hide and seek.  

The former Thompson residence on Potomac Avenue (where Elliott grew up)
I wish Elliott had been able to accompany me on this excursion.  I know how much he wanted to go.  But the past couple of weeks, since he suffered the compression fracture, have been especially difficult for him.  Even his strong painkillers haven’t brought him much relief.  He has tried to minimize his activities and spends much of his time resting.  It’s such a shame, especially because he had gotten so involved in working on designs for painting.  I remind him that the healing takes time and he’ll eventually feel better.  But patience isn’t all that appealing when you’re 103 years old.

On a much more positive note, we had a visit from the director of American University’s art museum last Monday.  Jack Rasmussen was familiar with Elliott’s work and he was very encouraging when he saw the paintings we have at the house.  We hope that this will lead to either a show or gallery representation.  Elliott’s last show was in 1990 and he hasn’t had gallery representation in quite a while.  I’ve wanted to get more involved in promoting his work for several years, but Elliott refused to cooperate – until very recently.  It must be the realization that he won’t be around forever.  If you’re interested in seeing some of his paintings, you can take a look at the website I set up.  The photographs aren’t professionally done, but I want to thank my stepson, Marshall, who spent many hours taking and editing the photos.  In the coming days, I plan to add information to the website, including a list of Elliott’s exhibitions. 

Lastly, I’d like to share a couple of photos of another family member who’s getting in the Halloween mood.  Miss Sylvie can’t make up her mind about what costume to wear.  Should she be a witch, or a ballet dancer, or little pink riding hood?  Such a dilemma.  I’m sure Elisa and Christian will help her figure it out.  

A Halloween Witch
Ballerina

Little Pink Riding Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment