Monday, January 25, 2016

More Ups and Downs


January 25, 2016 – More Ups and Downs

In the past twenty-four hours, there have been more changes in Elliott’s condition.  He sounded very good on Sunday morning when I spoke to him.  In fact, he told me that his nurse had mentioned the possibility of a discharge that very same day.  While I was delighted to hear of the improvement in Elliott’s health, this news sent me into a slight state of panic.  Our driveway wasn’t in terrible condition (it had been shoveled the previous day while the snow was still falling), but given the state of the snow-covered roads throughout the area, I wondered how I was ever going to get out to the hospital to pick him up.  Of course, we could arrange for a patient transport vehicle to bring him back home from the hospital.  But assuming they were able to get down our street, they’d have to toss Elliott over a 3-foot tall, 3-foot wide wall of snow when they reached our driveway. 

Of course I wanted Elliott to come home, but would the hospital really discharge him today?  Maybe he’d misunderstood the nurse, I thought, as I pulled on layers of warm clothing and snow gear – ski overalls I’d bought in our French village when we moved into our unheated house in the winter of 1984, waterproof boots that had belonged to Matt when he was in middle school.  I got my exercise for the day clearing the remaining layer of snow from the driveway and demolishing the Great Wall of Snow at the street.  An hour or so later, I staggered back into the house, sweaty and exhausted, but pleased with my accomplishment.

All seemed to be going well.  I’d be ready to welcome Elliott back home if he were discharged today.  However, a phone call from Elliott around 2 p.m. informed me that the entire situation had changed.  In a calm voice, he related how he had fainted a short time earlier and that there was evidence of intestinal bleeding.  Tests revealed a low platelet level in his blood, and he was going to receive another transfusion.  In addition, he was being transferred to a unit where he’d receive a higher level of care. 

We spoke again on the phone a couple of hours later.  He was in his new room and was already receiving a platelet transfusion.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t allowed to have anything to eat or drink.  Nevertheless, he was in good spirits, voicing his hope that he’d be able to come home soon, start exercising again, and begin his radiation treatments. 

Since then, I’ve had phone conversations with several of his doctors.  This type of intestinal bleeding sometimes stops on its own.  If not – well, we’ll just have to wait and see.  I spoke to Elliott again this morning, and he sounded optimistic about a positive outcome.  If travel conditions permit, I’ll be visiting him at some point today. 

Thanks to all of you for your continued love and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment