Friday, March 10, 2017

Catching Up, Once Again


March 10, 2017 – Catching Up, Once Again

Once again, I seem to find myself in “catch-up” mode.  I suppose it’s inevitable.  I’ve chosen to keep busy with so many activities that my blog posts have gone from daily (years ago) to weekly and then to monthly.  Perhaps I should make more time for writing.  It certainly is a way of reflecting and processing my experiences and feelings. 

Over the past few weeks, I reached a milestone of sorts – the one-year mark following Elliott’s passing.  On a beautiful morning in late February, three of his children (Elisa, Matthew, and Marshall), along with Elisa’s husband and daughter, joined me in scattering his ashes into the river near the Navy Yard in Washington, DC.  The site was especially meaningful.  Elliott grew up in the District, within walking distance of the Navy Yard, where his father, Axel Kolbjørn Thompson, worked for a number of years.  Elliott often visited him there.  Today, there’s a newly-built waterfront riverwalk and park.  I think Elliott would have been pleased that we were all together, thinking of him and sharing reminiscences.  How he would have loved to see Sylvie running along, waving “hi” to the dogs, and breaking into laughter!  

At the waterfront by the Navy Yard with Matt, Elisa and Marshall
Elisa and Christian with Sylvie

A quiet morning at home

Sampling homemade cookies (Sylvie helped make them, of course!)

Earlier in February, I had a date with Botticelli.  Well, actually, it was a visit to an amazing exhibit of works by the Florentine Renaissance master.  Many were on loan from the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.  I’ve always been a fan of Botticelli, going way back to my first visit to Florence in 1971.  There’s something about the delicacy of his work (think of the Primavera and the Birth of Venus) that instinctively appealed to me.  And thanks to my wonderful art history professor, Lisa Bauman, I’m much more familiar with the entire range of Botticelli's production and the context in which he worked.  It surprised me that the Muscarelle Museum on the campus of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia was able to host this exhibit, which is only traveling to one other museum in the U.S., the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  



My Renaissance art class is keeping me informed and entertained.  At our last class meeting, we were looking at Christ Risen, a nude marble sculpture by Michelangelo done relatively late in his career.  At some point after the statue was completed, when the Counter Reformation was changing attitudes towards nudity in art, a gold-covered metal loincloth was attached to the sculpture.  Likewise, fig leaves were placed on all the classical nude statues in the Vatican art collection. 

“Did you ever wonder what’s under the fig leaf?” Professor Bauman asked the class.  Then she told us a hilarious story of the surprising discovery she made while doing research deep in the archives of the Vatican.   After she looked at the folio she had requested, she had a couple of free hours before her allotted time ended.  She was alone, and out of curiosity, she opened a random drawer, only to find an array of marble penises, numbered and carefully arranged.  She quickly shut the drawer!  So now we all know what’s not under the fig leaf. 

What else?  I’ve been up to Brooklyn for a short visit.  Of course, I stopped by some of my favorite spots, including Mia’s Bakery on Smith Street and Ample Hills Creamery (such good ice cream!) on Union Street.  This will probably be my last visit to Brooklyn for a while since Elisa, Christian and Sylvie will be relocating at the end of March.  They have decided to spend a year living in Buenos Aires.  Spending time living in another country was always one of their goals and this seems like a good time to do it.  I can’t complain.  After all, when I married Elliott, we moved to the South of France for four years.  Both Elisa and Christian have traveled extensively, studied abroad, and done volunteer work abroad.  Their plan sounds very exciting and in keeping with family tradition.  But visiting them won’t be so easy for me – no more $30 bus rides if I want to see them.  I’m researching airfares, which seem to be astronomical.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  

With my kitchen helper in Brooklyn

Sylvie appreciates good ice cream - at Ample Hills Creamery

I’ve spent some time in the glass studio recently. Matt still has his studio at the Workhouse and I occasionally run into him there.  Here’s a sample of my latest work.  Both pieces are 12-inch squares.  The first piece is completed and the second one is ready for its first firing.  The colors were inspired by the mid-century modern design I saw during my December visit to Palm Springs, California. 

This piece incorporates some "puddle" pieces.



This piece reminds me of Palm Springs. 



In addition, I’m trying to learn some Portuguese in anticipation of an upcoming trip to Portugal.  My long-time friend, Barbara, is flying in from Oregon to travel with me.  This will be my first time flying since the new travel ban went into effect.  Let’s hope we don’t have any trouble going through security or getting back into the country.  

Finally, thanks to our warmer than usual winter, the cherry blossoms are already blooming, way ahead of schedule.  If you want to see them, hurry down to the DC area within the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment