Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cooking with Miso

 
Sunday, March 25, 2012 – Cooking with Miso

OK, I didn’t even offer Elliott a taste of this one, but I loved it:  stir-fried cabbage with miso, served over quinoa.  (For those of you not au courant in the kitchen, miso is that fermented bean paste that the Japanese use as a seasoning – think miso soup.)  You have to try it.  It was the simplest of dishes – sauté shredded cabbage and diced red onion and some sesame seeds for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil.  Then stir in a sauce made of miso, a little Dijon mustard, and a little more olive oil.  The result?  A burst of unexpected deliciousness!  Thanks to Yum Universe for a recipe featuring Brussels sprouts that inspired my adaptation.  This all came about because I had some leftover shredded cabbage from our pre-St. Patrick’s Day dinner.  Next time I think I’ll add cubes of tofu to the mixture.  And I’ll try to remember to pick up a couple of bratwurst for Elliott.  

Am I dreaming, or did I really wake up at 2 in the morning to write this???

No comments:

Post a Comment