Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rainy Morning in March

 
Saturday, March 3, 2012 – Rainy Morning




Rainy mornings have their own particular charms.  To be honest, when I went out shortly after 7, it was more of a very light sprinkle than a steady rain.  The sky was a patchwork in subtle shades of gray.  There was the gentle patter of raindrops cascading from the bare limbs of the trees.  Since it’s Saturday, the squirrels seemed to be sleeping in.  But the bird chorus was in robust voice.  I wish I could recognize the different bird calls.  There was one that I’d never heard before, a single clear note from high in the tree tops, every three seconds or so.  Of course, the poor worms were stretched out on the driveway again.  I wonder if they’re dead or alive.  I should go back out and check later today to see if they’ve moved. 

But first, it was time for a favorite rainy day tradition:  breakfast by candlelight.  I lit the tall ivory pillar candle on the family room table and brought my oatmeal and tea.  I couldn’t convince Elliott to join me, but WETA provided a musical accompaniment.  I still find myself amazed at how a composer with whom I share no common language can speak to me so clearly through music. 

The best news of the day is that Elliott’s latest medication seems to be taking hold against the pain.  If we can keep the pain under control, we can both turn our attention to more cheerful matters, such as visiting family and friends, going into DC for museums and plays, planning the big birthday celebration, and even taking another trip.  I just heard a plane overhead and it made me think of all the places we want to go. 

In the more immediate future, my brother will be arriving shortly from New York for a brief visit.  And later today, we’ll be celebrating Matt’s 25th birthday with dinner at one of his favorite restaurants, P.F. Chang’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment