Monday, July 9, 2012

Feasting on Summer's Bounty

 
Monday, July 9, 2012 – Feasting on Summer’s Bounty




Our friend Judy Bass came over for dinner, which gave me a perfect excuse to prepare an array of dishes using fresh seasonal produce.  Actually, this was a continuation of my weekend cooking efforts.  We started with roasted zucchini soup (which is delicious served hot or chilled).  Then it was on to Provençal devilled eggs (a year-round favorite in this house); a salad of roasted sweet potatoes, yellow peppers, red onions, rosemary, and sherry vinegar; sautéed kale with onion, garlic, and white beans; sliced red and yellow tomatoes from the farmers’ market; fresh corn off the cob sautéed and tossed with basil, oregano and chives; and Trader Joe’s Italian “sausage” (a soy-based product that’s delicious grilled and served with their aioli mustard).  A rosy pink Côtes de Provence, well-chilled, was the perfect compliment to the mostly Mediterranean meal.  








When Judy complimented me on the healthy dinner, Elliott just rolled his eyes.  To his credit, he didn’t make any comments while we were eating, although I know he would have preferred plain meat and potatoes.  I rewarded him when it was time for dessert.  I had peaches and plain yogurt sprinkled with my new secret ingredient, toasted unsweetened coconut.  But I served Elliott (and Judy) generous bowls of mint chocolate chip ice cream.  




Speaking of desserts, I’ve been dreaming of peach pie, my all-time favorite summer dessert.  In fact, for my birthday, I always have a peach pie or peach tart rather than a traditional birthday cake.  This year, while I wait for my birthday to arrive, I’ve come up with a healthy alternative that’s quite satisfying:  You toast a piece of whole grain bread, spread it with almond butter, and top with peeled peach slices.  It has just the right amount of sweetness, plus a nice crunch and a much lower calorie count.  

No comments:

Post a Comment