Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Keeping up with Elliott

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 - Keeping up with Elliott
 
We’re keeping the medical establishment in business with four doctors’ appointments in two days for Elliott.  He’d been feeling so good, and then out of nowhere, problems with his back and leg started on Sunday.  Since then, he’s been miserable.  The pain doctor gave him an injection today, but it won’t bring immediate relief.  And while this was going on, Elliott also had his fourth post-op appointment with his eye surgeon.  It turns out that his eyes are still infected so he’s back on a full-scale antibiotic regimen (oral, eye drops, and eye ointment).  The good news?  His pulmonologist says his lungs sound great! 

Also on Sunday, both of our printers died, and we went out to buy a replacement.  The new machine prints, copies, scans, and faxes.  I am so proud of my accomplishments:  I set it up as a network printer, and I learned how to send a fax.  It really came in handy today after I applied online to George Mason University (so I can audit a course or two in the spring semester).  I never realized I’d have to go through the long online application process, which involves getting official transcripts sent from every college or university I’ve ever attended.  I managed to fax transcript requests to three different schools.  Fortunately, GMU didn’t require me to submit an official transcript of my GMU work.  Now I’ll have to start working on Elliott’s application.

I guess I had a productive Sunday, because I also tried a muffin recipe that I found in a vegan cookbook.  It’s not easy to come up with a recipe that’s vegan, low-carb, sugar-free – and edible.  But my oatmeal-applesauce muffins weren’t bad at all, especially with a dab of peanut butter.  I’d like to experiment with more muffin baking, so please send me any “healthy” recipes that you have.  (They don’t have to be vegan.) 

It’s time to do a little packing.  Wednesday morning, I’m heading out to West Virginia for a brief ladies trip to the mountain home of my friend, Eleanor.  Elliott will be on his own for a couple of days.  I’ve told him – no wild parties while I’m gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment