Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Food-Filled Weekend

-->
Sunday, March 24, 2013 – Food-Filled Weekend

It was a busy week, taking Elliott to doctor’s appointments, running errands for my mother, and helping Marshall shop for his new apartment.  There was a certain sense of déjà vu, i.e. it was starting to feel like the good old days, when I seemed to live in the car, driving Elisa and Matt all over northern Virginia.  Actually, being in the car was more relaxing than being in the house.  How is it possible that the male members of the household can spend nearly all their time sprawled out in some fashion while I’m constantly in motion?  And when it came time for dinner, it was back to dual cooking like I did when Elisa and Matt were living at home.  This time, I was preparing male-friendly meals for Elliott and Marshall while cooking more veggie-oriented dishes for myself.  However, they were both pleased with my Savannah-inspired Southern dinner of cornbread, greens (vegan “bacon” bits stood in for the ham hock), and Trader Joe’s chicken-less nuggets.  

I hope they’ll be as enthusiastic about the dishes I learned to make on Sunday at a vegan cooking class conducted by Mimi Clark, aka “the Veggie Gourmet.”  Mimi is a super-energetic and enthusiastic chef who has been sharing her passion for animal-free cooking for over 20 years.  This session focused on international cuisines and featured vegan versions of dishes from Japan, China, and India.  She demonstrated how to prepare vegetable sushi (the rolling is tricky), spring rolls, Hunan-style Orange “Beef” and Broccoli, Chana Masala (Indian chickpeas), and Aloo Sag (Indian spinach and potatoes).   
Don't roll the matt into the sushi!

All vegan, all delicious

In addition to sampling all of these delicious dishes, we tasted several new products, including rice chips, seitan, salsa, “cheese” puffs, macaroons made from dried fruits and coconut.  She even treated us to a selection of bite-sized desserts to conclude our little feast.  And she sent each student home with a bagful of free goodies, including a handmade vegan peep, available online through Sweet & Sara.  

Why can't I rotate this photo?
Afterwards, I stopped at Wegman’s to pick up some last-minute supplies for tomorrow’s Seder.   In their fish department, I encountered a gigantic fish called the “opah.”  According to the sign, it comes from the waters off Hawaii.  But at $26.99 a pound, it will be a while before I try it. 

The Opah

No comments:

Post a Comment