Monday, May 13, 2013

Time Travelling in the Land of Enchantment


Monday, May 13, 2013 – Time Travelling in the Land of Enchantment

Enchanted Mesa - seen from Sky City (Acoma Pueblo)
 
I offer my apologies for not blogging sooner.  I spent most of the past week time-traveling through New Mexico.  I’ve been an Acoma Pueblo Indian living in an adobe house on a high mesa in 1200; I’ve been a Spanish Jew forcibly converted to Christianity in 1391; I’ve been a converso fleeing to New Spain after the Edict of Expulsion in 1492; I’ve been a converso living in fear of the Inquisition in Mexico City in the 16th century; I’ve been a proud Spaniard army officer leading a group of settlers to the northernmost regions of New Spain in 1598; I’ve been a 17th century crypto-Jew in an isolated village who lights candles every Friday evening; I’ve been a Pueblo Indian rebelling against the Spanish in 1680; I’ve been an 18th century Catholic priest who guards the secrets of his crypto-Jewish family; I’ve been a 19th century Jewish immigrant from Germany starting a new life in Albuquerque and giving money to complete the Church of San Felipe de Neri; I’ve been a modern-day Pueblo Indian seeking to retain the ancient rituals of my people; and I’ve been a 21st century Catholic woman from an old Spanish family, discovering my Jewish ancestry for the first time.  No wonder I’m exhausted!  

Sky City (Acoma Pueblo)

Sky City (Acoma Pueblo)
Interior of San Felipe de Neri in Old Town Albuquerque

Old Town Albuquerque

Santuario in Chimayo
From our expert Road Scholar lecturers and from the recommended readings, I gained a wealth of information about the history of conversos on the Iberian Peninsula and then in the New World.  We concluded the program by learning about how today’s descendants of conversos and crypto-Jews are dealing questions of identity and their past.  In addition to attending lectures, we explored the city of Albuquerque (the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center and Hispanic Cultural Center were standouts) and the surrounding area.  Field trips to Sky City (the Acoma Pueblo village on the high mesa), Chimayo (its church is the holiest Catholic site in New Mexico; the village was settled by conversos), and Santa Fe (the colonial capital city) added immensely to our understanding of the unique blend of cultures (Native American, Spanish, and Anglo) alive today in New Mexico.  In addition to the fascinating history and culture, it’s a world like none other in terms of the landscape.  What it lacks in greenery, it makes up for with dramatic rock formations, seemingly endless vistas, and an enormous dome of sky.  I understand now why New Mexico’s nickname is “the land of enchantment.”   

The only disappointment of the trip was the traditional New Mexican cuisine.  I’m not a big fan of chiles, which seem to be included in every dish.  In fact, the official state question is “green or red?”  After one scorching taste of enchiladas doused in red chile sauce, I quickly learned to specify “chile on the side.”  This, however, resulted in some boringly bland and heavy meals.  And while the sopaipillas, cheesy quesadillas, and freshly prepared tortilla chips were tasty, the high fat content was a challenge for my indigestive system.  I’m sure my stomach is glad to be back home. 

But this trip gave me a greater appreciation for the rich diversity of our country and made me eager to continue exploring the U.S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment