Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Snow Daze


Tuesday, December 10, 2013 – Snow Daze

Miracle of miracles!  Fairfax County cancelled school and made the announcement the night before!  So I didn’t have to get up at 5:00 a.m. just to discover that I didn’t have to get up at 5:00 a.m.  This new FCPS superintendent gets my vote of approval. 

So what am I going to do with this gift of time?  The world is hushed and white as the snow gently falls.  The first thing I’m going to do is bundle up and go for a walk while it’s still quiet and clean out there.  I’d better hurry because I already hear a few cars making their way down the just-plowed street. 

Later the same morning:

Back from my walk to the post office.  It really wasn’t bad at all out there.  Of course, I was dressed for the Arctic in my puffy coat, wooly scarf and waterproof boots.  The worst that happened was when a passing bus splattered me with a shower of slush.  But that minor inconvenience was overshadowed by the joy of seeing snow-laden pine boughs, tiny icicles dangling from bare branches, and holly berries poking their cheery red faces out from under a blanket of white.  As some of my ESOL students would say, I am liking this snow. 

And now, for a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of toasted Julekake.  Snow daze doesn’t get much better than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment