Saturday, December 7, 2013

Vikings in Virginia


Saturday, December 7, 2013 – Vikings in Virginia

Since I married a Viking (both of Elliott’s parents were born in Norway), I’ve learned about some of the traditional Scandinavian holiday traditions.  Every year, I make a sweet cardamom-scented Christmas bread called Julekake from a recipe I found in a Sons of Norway newsletter.  According to Elliott, his mother was a terrific baker who spent days and days in the kitchen preparing Christmas cookies.  I’m fortunate that the local Sons of Norway chapter holds a bazaar every December where I can buy some of these delicious treats ready-made. 

On Friday afternoon, the boys (Elliott, Matt, and Marshall) and I made our annual visit to the Norwegian Holiday Bazaar in Fairfax.  I didn’t really need anything, but I couldn’t walk away without a few purchases.  First of all, the edibles:  krumkake and rosettes, two tasty varieties of cookies that would be very time-consuming to make on my own.  The krumkake are made one at a time on a circular patterned iron.  As soon as the hot cookie comes off the press, it has to be rolled around a tapered wooden dowel while it’s still pliable.  

Viking treasures from the Norwegian Holiday Bazaar
Also, I got a can of fiskebøller (fish balls), a jar of lingonberry preserves (as a gift for Matt), a package of Snøfrisk (a goat cream cheese), and a package of lefse (giant crepes made from a potato-based batter).  The lefse will be good stuffed with butter and cinnamon-sugar, with lingonberry preserves, or with smoked salmon, Snøfrisk and dill.  I was tempted to get a few other food items, such as a can of Troll Energy Drink and a log of chocolate covered almond paste, but I didn’t want to go overboard. 

Not all of my purchases were edible.  For example, there was the Sons of Norway cookbook, entitled From Farm and Fjord.  A local artist who does rosmaling (traditional Norwegian decorative flower painting) sells beautifully decorated articles at the bazaar.  I always buy a few ornaments to give to friends for their Christmas trees.  In addition, I bought a reindeer tea towel and a Norwegian flag decal for the car.  Elliott was wonderfully patient as I went on my shopping spree. 

Now we’re waiting for the winter weather to arrive.  On Sunday, we’re supposed to have a mixture of rain, sleet, snow, and ice.  No problem!  We plan to stay home all day and stay toasty warm baking our first Julekake of the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment