Sunday, August 10, 2014

Back in Action


August 10, 2014 – Back in Action

I’m pleased to announce that Elliott has just been appointed project manager of the downstairs renovation at the Thompson homestead.  In his new position, he will not come into contact with any sharp objects, except for a pencil.  As you can see from the photo, he has graduated from a full-arm wrap to a simple bandaid.  A few days ago, the surgeon voiced his satisfaction with the way the wound is healing.  No stiches are necessary.  Every day, Elliott has been stronger physically and more focused on getting back to work.  


Now that he’s feeling so much better, I’ve been trying to steer him away from some of his favorite comfort foods.  As many of you know, Elliott’s preferences are for sweet and starchy foods.  Think whole milk, white bread, cheese, mashed potatoes, marshmallows, meringues, and vanilla ice cream – a nutritionist’s nightmare.  In an effort to inject a little color into his mostly monochromatic diet, I’ve been trying out new recipes that feature a rainbow of colors.  For example, this “mayo-free coleslaw” includes green and red cabbage, carrots, green onions and radishes, all tossed in a tasty tahini-based dressing, enlivened by garlic and cilantro.  Even my sugar-freak husband was pleased with the flavors.  Here’s a link to The Washington Post website where you can find the recipe.  Note:  I left out the sesame seeds, cayenne and onion salt.  

A new summer favorite 
In addition, as Elliott’s condition improves, it’s becoming a little easier for me to maintain a balance between work, i.e. things I have to do, and fun, i.e. things I do for pleasure.  In the latter category is my fused glass work, which I’m enjoying tremendously.  One small piece, where I experimented with sandblasting, is finished.  I’m currently working on two other pieces, currently ready for another firing in the kiln. 
This dish is 6x6 inches

This piece is 12x12 inches

And this one is 6x6 inches (those white smears are glue which will disappear)
I’ve also been soaking up culture in DC.  A couple of weeks ago, with my step-grandson, Tyler, who was visiting from Yorktown, I spent a delightful afternoon exploring the city.  In the interior court of The National Building Museum, we worked our way through a wooden maze, a piece of sculptural art and a form of entertainment at the same time.  Then we stopped into the Smithsonian American Art Museum for a quick look at a couple of special exhibitions.  Tyler enjoyed the new experiences, including his first lobster roll and his first taste of olives and empanadas.  

The maze smelled like a pine forest.


Tyler beside a Civil War marker in Fairfax City
This past Friday, I was able to spend the afternoon with my longtime dear friend (dating back to seventh grade) Lynda, who was in town for a medical meeting.  A hike from McPherson Square to Dupont Circle brought us to The Phillips Collection for their very comprehensive exhibit of American art from the museum’s own collection.  

Lynda in front of a wonderful Morris Louis painting
In addition to many familiar names, there were some exciting artists whose names were new to me, most notably Augustus Vincent Tack.  Here is an example of his work.  


 If you’re in the DC area, don’t miss this show, which will be at the Phillips through the end of the month.  Of course, before we departed from the museum, I had to pay a visit to my favorite Bonnard painting.  

Well, it’s time for me to get back to work sorting things out downstairs.  I don’t want Elliott to be disappointed when he gets up from his nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment