Saturday, August 16, 2014

Market Day


August 16, 2014 – Market Day

One of the joys of summer is a trip to the local farmers’ market.  I try to restrain myself because it’s much too easy to over-buy.  That basket of baby okra, that bunch of sunflowers, those ears of corn – all of it looks irresistible.  I have to consider how much I can reasonably use within a week.  But peaches and tomatoes are always on the list.  The pictures below are from the farmers' market in Fairfax City.




When I unpack my bag at home, I arrange the colorful produce on the granite countertop and admire the shapes and colors.  But most of all, I start to anticipate the luscious flavors.  I could simply pick one up and bite right into it.  However, I’ve found some easy and tasty ways of incorporating summer’s bounty into my menus.  First of all, those glorious tomatoes.  When I don’t have much time, they can be sliced or chunked and combined with feta and olives and a healthy drizzle of olive oil.  But at least once every summer, I make a gazpacho.  Try it in a shot glass at breakfast.  You’ll find it delivers a big jolt of wake-up flavor.  

Start the day with a shot of gazpacho!
Unfortunately, Elliott isn’t a big fan of gazpacho (in fact, he didn’t even try this summer’s version), but he appreciates a thick tomato slice on a roast beef and cheddar sandwich.  As for peaches, I’ve found a healthier alternative to one of my all-time favorite desserts, peach pie.  Take a slice of bread (I like to use a whole grain sourdough), spread thickly with crunchy almond butter, and top with peach slices.  This open-faced treat gives me all the satisfaction of a piece of peach pie with considerably less guilt.  Peaches also lend themselves to the roasting technique.  A touch of balsamic vinegar will enhance their sweetness, and they can be served alongside any main course.   

My peachy sandwich is just as satisfying as peach pie.
Another frequent market purchase is melon.  I recently bought a canary melon, bright yellow on the outside with cream-colored flesh inside.  In addition to putting an unadorned slice on a plate, I feature it in a yogurt parfait.  Start with plain yogurt, enhanced with a little bit of stevia, a squeeze of lime juice and a couple of drops of pure vanilla extract.  Top with small chunks of melon.  Add your favorite chopped nuts for a little crunch, if desired.  I often eat this while Elliott is downing his three scoops of calorie-laden ice cream after dinner. 

Today in the market, I couldn’t resist picking up a pair of  baby cantaloupes.  The sight of them conjured up memories of the wonderful petite melons de Cavaillon that were so plentiful in village marketplaces in the South of France during the summer months.  As for the baby okra, tonight I’ll split them lengthwise, toss them with olive oil, and roast them – a technique I’ve used successfully with many other kinds of vegetables.  They’ll fit right in with the menu for tonight’s dinner, which includes roasted peppers and sweet potatoes, avocado and black bean salad, grilled corn, and bison hotdogs. 

I’ve been having so much fun in the kitchen that I limited myself to one dining out experience for this summer’s Restaurant Week.  We joined friends Millicent and Andy for dinner this past week at Brabo in Alexandria.  This restaurant features the cuisine of chef Marcel Wiedmaier, a Belgian native, whose DC restaurant, Marcel’s, has long been a favorite spot for Flemish-influenced French cuisine.  My meal consisted of a glass of rosé from the Languedoc, the best ever Vichyssoise, fabulous bread (a rare indulgence for me), sautéed skate wing over ratatouille, and a fresh take on Belgian waffles for dessert.  And as you can see from the photo, Elliott was mighty pleased with his hanger steak and pommes frites.  Ditto for the chocolate crème brulée.  

Skate wing over ratatouille

Elliott enjoyed the hanger steak and pommes frites.  (I ate the watercress.)

With Millicent at Brabo

No comments:

Post a Comment