Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day 2014


September 1, 2014 – Labor Day 2014

It happens every year.  Labor Day weekend rolls around, and my subconscious shifts into anxiety mode.  I’m okay during my waking hours, but in my dreams, I can’t escape the conditioning that two decades as a teacher instilled in me.  The day after Labor Day is the day that students return to school in Fairfax County.  If I were still teaching, I’d have a good reason to feel anxious.  And even though I’m now retired, I dreamed last night of running around the school looking in vain for my classroom, trying – and failing – to get to class on time in a very unfamiliar building, searching desperately for my colleagues, listening to my students speak in unknown languages, worrying about when I’d get a chance to use the restroom – I was exhausted by the time I woke up from these nightmares!  Thank goodness it’s Labor Day.  I’ll try to take it easy today. 

And speaking of Labor Day, Elliott doesn’t understand the meaning of the holiday.  I tried to explain that Labor Day is a day when you take time off from work, but he seems to think that it’s a day to labor.  Consequently, he spent several hours downstairs scraping up glue from the floor.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment