Friday, April 17, 2015

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning!


April 17, 2015 – Oh, What a Beautiful Morning!

Sunlight was streaming in through the newly cleaned windows in the family room, tempting me to rush outside while I made breakfast, sipped coffee and read the newspaper this morning.  As soon as I finished cleaning up the kitchen, I laced up my “rabbit-y fire” shoes (see January14 post entitled Discharged if you want an explanation) and hopped up the street to walk in the woods.  The cherry blossoms may have officially peaked, but the trees on Convento Terrace are still showing off their spring finery.  I noticed, however, that the petals have begun to drift earthward, forming frothy puddles of pink.  


The morning breeze carried a delicious scent as I entered the woods for a quick jaunt along the trail.  Aside from an occasional dog walker, it was just me and the birds at this early hour – the rat–a-tat of woodpeckers, the gentle hoo-ing of sleepy owls, and one lilting bird call after another.  I had fun trying to echo their melodies.  Mostly, though, I concentratedd on my breathing, counting to 4 as I inhaled deeply through my nose and to 8 as I exhaled slowly through my mouth.  

Places like this nourish my soul.
Taking a morning walk ensures that I have a few moments to myself before plunging into the day’s activities.  I have a long list of tasks to keep me busy – things to do for Elisa’s baby shower, things to do for my mother, things to do for Elliott, things to do for the house, lunch with AHS friends at a Middle Eastern restaurant.  And of course, at some point, I’ll stop into The Virginian to spend some time with Elliott.  He’s clamoring for more physical therapy and occupational therapy sessions, and complained that there is no therapy scheduled for the weekends. 

For now, however, I think of Curly, in the opening scene of Oklahoma!, singing out, “Oh, what a beautiful morning!”  With a morning like this, I’m certain it’s going to be a beautiful day, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment