Saturday, June 6, 2015

Back from Brooklyn


Looking north from E&C's apartment towards downtown Brooklyn

Although I consider myself a New Yorker by birth, I’d hardly set foot in the borough of Brooklyn until a couple of years ago, when Elisa and Christian chose a Brooklyn venue for their wedding.  A few months ago, they officially became Brooklyn-ites when they moved across the river from the Lower East Side to one of Brooklyn’s family-friendly neighborhoods, Cobble Hill.  I spent a few days visiting them this past week, and I could immediately see why they found the area so appealing.  It wasn’t just the plethora of interesting restaurants and shops and the convenience of Trader Joe’s and Union Market.  Everywhere I looked, I saw pregnant young women, moms pushing strollers, and little children scurrying along on scooters.  Compared to the Lower East Side, the streets of Cobble Hill were quiet and clean.  
The view from the balcony of Elisa & Christian's apartment looking towards Manhattan

The restaurant scene on Smith Street and Court Street means you never have to travel far to get a good meal.  The hardest part of my visit was deciding where to eat.  On my first evening, Elisa and I braved the chilly drizzle and walked over to Buddy’s Burrito and Taco Bar on Court Street.  We were pleased to find reasonably priced, health-conscious and tasty Mexican food in a casual and friendly environment.  The spinach-cheese quesadilla was a stand-out.   

Elisa and I actually ate most of that meal!

A couple of nights later, Christian was able to join Elisa and me for a late meal at Enoteca on Court, a small Italian wine bar.  A leisurely post-dinner stroll back to their apartment was the perfect way to end the evening.  
(that's not a real bottle of Prosecco - the waiter added it for the photo)

Elisa and I devoted one full day to seeing the sights of Brooklyn.  We started at the Grand Army Plaza, at the northern end of Prospect Park.  The neo-classical Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Arch pays tribute to the defenders of the Union during the Civil War.   

At the Grand Army Plaza
Once you enter Prospect Park, you feel miles and miles away from the city.  With no set itinerary, we followed paths at random, inhaling the scent of honeysuckle in deeply wooded areas, dodging bicyclists along paved roads, and traipsing through grassy meadows where groups of school children were frolicking.  The park is enormous and we only covered a small amount of its territory.  Elisa will certainly be back to find the zoo, the boathouse, the botanical garden, and the carousel. 

We exited the park on Prospect Park West in the Park Slope neighborhood. The streets just west of the park are lined with stately homes built in the late 1800s.  One of the main commercial streets is Seventh Avenue, where we found Burger Village.  This restaurant features all organic burgers and salads, with plenty of options for non-carnivores.  I highly recommend the black bean burgers.  

A healthy al fresco lunch in Park Slope

Although Elisa is in her seventh month of pregnancy, she was able to keep up with the walking tour as long as we made frequent stops for nourishment and restrooms.  One of our last stops was at Ample Hills Creamery on Union Street in the Gowanus area.  We sat on the roof terrace and enjoyed homemade ice cream (they have fascinating flavors!) before setting out on the final leg of our journey. 

While I was staying with Elisa and Christian, I made daily excursions to their local Trader Joe’s, at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Court Street.  This is the biggest Trader Joe’s I’ve ever seen.  In addition to its size, it’s quite impressive architecturally, as it is housed in a former bank building.  One note, if you go there:  the store is incredibly busy unless you go in the morning. 


Even though Brooklyn has plenty to offer, I didn’t spend all my time there.  On Wednesday afternoon, Elisa and I went into the city to see a matinee performance of the new Broadway musical, An American in Paris.  I can see why it was nominated for a dozen Tony awards.  The show was exhilarating, with wonderful Gershwin music, a compelling story, and superb dancing.  The leads, who are both dancers with major ballet companies, are also very talented singers and actors.  



In case you’re wondering how Elliott managed while I was away, you need not be concerned.  Marshall stayed at the house with him.  I knew from past experience that things I usually do (fixing Elliott’s breakfast, washing out his compression socks, etc.) would not get done so I was mentally prepared this time.  I didn’t even bother printing out a copy of the Elliott Thompson Care and Maintenance Guide.  The decision not to be a micro-manager freed me to enjoy my time with Elisa – the last mother-daughter time before the baby arrives and a new phase in our lives begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment