Thursday, June 25, 2015

Grandparenting 101



An air of calm descended on the Thompson household after the trauma of the car buying episode.  Elliott and I have been speaking to each other like “normal” people once again – especially when he puts in his hearing aids.  He’s back to listening to audio books, going to the senior center, and making plans to go through more of the boxes stacked up in the garage.  He has recruited Marshall to help with this latest project but I’m going to supervise discreetly.  I’m back to Pilates and Zumba, lunch dates with friends, and quiet evenings of reading.  And I love the new car.  A few days ago, I took a long drive out into the countryside to pick lavender with a friend.  

Seven Oaks Lavender Farm in Catlett, Virginia
But the most interesting recent activity was the Grandparenting class I took this afternoon.  First of all, I learned how grandparents can help by cooking, cleaning and running errands so the parents are free to concentrate on baby care and sleep.  I’ll pass this information along to Elisa and Christian.  Our instructor also stressed a major DON’T for grandparents:  Do not give advice unless it is solicited. 

In addition, I brought my skills up to date.  I don’t think I’d ever swaddled an infant before but after a little practice in class, I’m now a passable swaddler.  I took photos of each step so I can review the procedure before the baby arrives.  I’m looking forward to lots of tummy time and skin-to-skin contact with the baby, too.  As soon as I’m summoned, I’ll be on my way to Brooklyn!

I swaddled this baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment