Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Argentina Adventures: La Boca and San Telmo

La Boca!  For years, the name alone had conjured up Buenos Aires in my mind – I could picture a pair of sultry tango dancers and hear the distinctive sounds of the bandoneon, an accordion-like instrument.  It seemed so romantic and exotic.  I couldn’t possibly leave without making a visit there.  Elisa warned me that I might be unrealistic in my expectations, but she agreed to join me for a walking tour on a bright, sunny morning.

The barrio of La Boca lies in the southeastern part of the city, beyond the reaches of the Subte system.  That wasn’t a problem, though, thanks to Uber.  The trip from Elisa’s apartment took about 30 minutes. 

I must admit that my first impression of La Boca was a shock.  When our Uber driver dropped us off at El Caminito, the pedestrian street where our tour began, I thought that I’d walked into a Disney theme park.  The garishly painted houses, the souvenir stands, and the cartoon-like figures popping out of windows all screamed “tourist trap.”

My first view of El Caminito (notice Pope Francis in the window)


On El Caminito

El Caminito, before the crowds arrived 
Fortunately, our guide was able to put the noise and commotion of El Caminito into a historical context.  The barrio of La Bocca is the birthplace of the city of Buenos Aires.  La Boca, which means “the mouth” in Spanish, got its name because it’s located at the mouth of the Matanza-Riachuelo River.  It is here that Pedro de Mendoza, a Spanish aristocrat, established the first permanent settlement in 1536.  During the 17th and 18th centuries, the city developed into a major center for slave trade and silver trade.  The revenue from taxes on exports and imports made Buenos Aires a very wealthy city.  La Boca became remained the chief port of Buenos Aires until quite recently, when the Puerto Madero area to the north was developed. 

The port of La Boca
Immigration played an important part in La Boca’s history.  Immigrants from the city of Genoa began arriving in the 1830s and settled in the port area, where many found jobs in the barrio’s shipyards.  For housing, the immigrants used leftover materials from the shipyards – scrap metal and marine paint – to build conventillos, shack-like tenement buildings that they painted in bold colors.  In the decades from 1880 to 1920, Argentina experienced a massive wave of immigration, second only to immigration through New York’s Ellis Island.  La Boca received about 6.6 million people.  Roughly sixty percent of this wave of immigrants came from Italy, but there were also large numbers of Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe as well as immigrants from Greece, Ireland, Spain, France and England.  Most of the new arrivals remained in La Boca, where they crowded into the conventillos.

Tenement buildings


With overcrowding and unsanitary conditions, disease spread rapidly and an epidemic of yellow fever broke out in La Boca in 1871.  Wealthier residents departed for other parts of the city, La Boca was placed under quarantine, and the barrio went into a decline for a number of years.  A labor strike in 1882 led to the declaration of the Republic of La Boca.  The republic lasted a mere 72 hours.  However, a fierce spirit of independence and a blue-collar grittiness continue to characterize La Boca to this day.
Street art at a La Boca playground
Tourists generally avoided the barrio in the early 20th century.  However, in the 1950s, Argentine artist Benito Quinquela Martin, who had grown up in La Boca, spearheaded a major revitalization effort for El Caminito and the surrounding area.  He enlisted local residents to repaint their houses in the bright colors used in the previous century.  Restaurants and bars moved in, artists set up shop, and this part of La Boca became a magnet for tourists.  Soon afterwards, city officials declared El Caminito an open-air museum. 

Paintings on an old building near the railroad tracks 
Today, La Boca is especially known for its nightlife, including tango shows (more about tango in my next post!) but I was cautioned by several people not to wander the streets of the barrio after dark.  In fact, parts of La Boca are considered so rough that they are best avoided even during daylight hours. 

Street art in La Boca

Street art in La Boca 
Street art abounds in the area near El Caminito.  We saw scenes related to soccer stars, Aztec figures, and local fire fighters and policemen.  Much of the street art makes a political statement.  For example, there is a large mural depicting the Madres de la Plaza de Mayo.  This is a group of women whose children, young activists with leftist beliefs, “disappeared” during the repressive military dictatorship in the 1970s and 80s.  Although their bodies have never been found, these young people are presumed murdered.  For decades, the mothers have gathered in the Plaza de Mayo every Thursday to demand information from the government about the fate of their children (and grandchildren, as children born to female prisoners were allegedly given away for adoption to army officers).

A very large mural in La Boca
Soccer (or futbol, as it’s called in Argentina) plays a big role in the life of La Boca. Thousands of fans regularly flock to the barrio and pack into La Bombonera stadium to see the Boca Juniors play.  While Elisa and I were walking around La Boca, we saw many wearing the blue and gold colors of the team.  According to our guide, the game is a religion in Buenos Aires.  The two main teams, the Boca Juniors and their bitter rivals, the River Plate team, have devoted fans.  Loyalty lasts a lifetime.

A few hours of the circus-like atmosphere of La Boca was enough for Elisa and me.  We had a quick al fresco lunch at a parrilla (grilled chicken for me – I still wasn’t quite ready for a plateful of beef) and then worked our way through the crowds of tourists, ignoring the tango dancers offering to pose, until we reached a relatively quiet street where we could wait for an Uber ride back to Palermo.

An al fresco lunch with Elisa in La Boca
The neighborhood of San Telmo offered a completely different experience.  One Monday morning near the end of my time in Buenos Aires, I took the Subte into the Plaza de Mayo in the city center and started walking south.  As I neared the broad, tree-lined Plaza Dorrengo in the heart of San Telmo, I congratulated myself on being able to find my way around the city without losing my sense of direction.  My inner GPS is usually pretty reliable, but when I first arrived in Buenos Aires, I felt so disoriented because I kept expecting to see the sun in the southern sky.  Of course, that’s only true in the northern hemisphere.  In Argentina, the sun crosses the northern sky and it took me a while to internalize that knowledge.

The quiet of San Telmo struck me immediately – not many cars, not many people walking around, and even some of the shops were shuttered.  I guess the neighborhood was recovering from the weekend.  Every Sunday, the San Telmo Feria (fair) fills the Plaza Dorrengo and spills over into the surrounding streets.  In fact, Defensa, the main north-south street leading to the plaza, becomes a pedestrian zone, with vendors set up along both sides of the street.   

At the Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo
In contrast to my Palermo neighborhood, San Telmo lacks tall modern buildings.  It’s smaller in scale, well worn around the edges, a bit quirky, and utterly charming in its own very unpretentious way.  Compared to La Boca, it had a genuine, authentic feel, somewhat reminiscent of certain of gentrifying sections of Brooklyn. 

A street corner in San Telmo
San Telmo is known as a shopping destination, especially for antiques.  I noticed several storefronts displaying china, glassware, furniture, jewelry, etc.  I wasn’t interested in acquiring anything for my house, but I wanted to come home with at least one small souvenir from my trip.  I found what I was looking for in a shop that specialized in rodocrosita.  Called rhodochrosite in English, this beautiful stone, with its bands of rosy red and pink, is considered the national gemstone of Argentina. 


It wasn’t hard to find earrings that I liked.  But, as so often is the case in Argentina, making the purchase wasn’t simple.  My supply of pesos was dwindling, and I was hoping to use a credit card.  Argentina is still very much a cash based economy, so I had gotten into the habit of asking, whenever I entered a shop or restaurant, if they accepted credit cards.  Of course, businesses prefer cash payments, and many offer a discount if you use effectivo (cash).  However, the owner of the jewelry store assured me that he would take my credit card.  After ten minutes and two unsuccessful attempts to process the payment (he couldn’t connect), I ended up counting out pesos to complete my purchase.  Now I’d have to make sure I found a restaurant that accepted credit cards if I wanted to eat lunch. 

Before I turned back up to the city center, I made sure to stop in to MACBA.  This small privately owned museum is devoted to geometric abstract art, i.e. Elliott’s painting style.  Since I had learned of the museums’ existence before I left home, I already knew from their website that the museum owned works by several of Elliott’s artist friends and colleagues.  Since his work would fit right in to their collection, I plan to contact the museum director to see if MACBA would be interested in acquiring one of his paintings. I’d even offer to deliver it in person.   J

MACBA, the museum of geometric abstract art


Mercado San Telmo 
Mercado San Telmo
Heading back from the museum, I stumbled across the indoor San Telmo Mercado with its produce stands and lunch counters.  Although my stomach was growling and I was tempted to stop, I was afraid I didn’t have enough cash on hand.  Instead, I continued on my way until I came across a cozy vegetarian café with a credit card sign in the window.  Gingery carrot soup, lentil salad, and eggplant milanesa satisfied my ravenous appetite.  And their credit card machine worked! 


San Telmo had turned out to be an unexpected delight.  Little did I know, at the time of my initial visit, that I’d be back in the neighborhood again a few days later.  But that’s a story for my next post, Buenos Aires after Dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment