Saturday, August 5, 2017

Back from Buenos Aires

Back from Buenos Aires

At the Botanical Gardens, the day after my arrival
I’ve never made a big deal out of birthday presents, but this year I couldn’t resist giving myself a major gift.  The month-long trip to Argentina this summer (which was their winter) turned out to be the best present imaginable.  Ever since Elisa, Christian and Sylvie moved down to Buenos Aires last March, I’d been wondering how long I could stand the separation.  After all, I was used to taking the bus up to see them in Brooklyn every couple of months.  Even though we were using WhatsApp frequently after they relocated, video chats can’t compare to real-life smiles and hugs. 

With Sylvie’s birthday falling the day after mine, it seemed only logical to celebrate together in July.  Anyway, that’s what I told myself last spring when I made my flight reservations and booked an Airbnb apartment.  Admittedly, I was a little apprehensive at first about spending a month away from home.  On recent overseas trips, I’d been ready to come back after ten days or so.  But this time I wouldn’t be going strictly as a tourist.  In addition, there was the cost of the airfare to consider, and the fact that Airbnb gave a discount for stays of at least four weeks.  

It turned out that my concerns about a month-long trip were unfounded.  I quickly and easily settled into life in the Argentine capital.  My one bedroom apartment was basic (tiny kitchen, not much in the way of décor) but it was in a delightful neighborhood and only a five-minute walk from the Cheslaks’ building.  I had plenty of time to be both grandmother to Sylvie and a tourist, exploring the sights of a vibrant and fascinating city.  My life soon fell into a relaxed rhythm centered on Sylvie’s schedule. It was a thrill to see how she’s developing and to share in her activities.  I’m so grateful to Elisa and Christian for making me feel welcome. Of course, now that I’m back in Virginia, I miss them terribly. 


The four of us had so many wonderful experiences together.  Over the next couple of weeks, I’ll be sifting through all my notes and photos, and writing a series of blog posts about my Argentine adventures.  For now, I’ll just say, ciao and hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment