Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Muffin Season Officially Begins Now

 
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 – Muffin Season Officially Begins Now 

 
I’ve had a craving for muffins for quite some time.  I think it developed after I successfully weaned myself from cookies, cupcakes and all the sugary baked stuff.  I managed to suppress my muffin mania for the past several months, but I was collecting healthy recipes all the while, and now that the weather has cooled off (it was downright chilly today!), I fired up the oven and baked my first batch of the 2012-2013 season.  These yummy treats, an adaptation of a recipe I recently got from Gale, are moist and delicious.  They’re also full of healthy ingredients, such as oatmeal, bran, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, raisins, and buttermilk.  The only problem will be limiting myself to one a day. 

There is definitely something therapeutic about being back in the kitchen, cooking and baking.  As much as I enjoyed dining out while we were in Arizona, I still get a thrill out of putting together a lunch or dinner at home and sitting down with Elliott to enjoy it.  Of course, sometimes we’re eating different food.  It’s clear that Elliott is never going to give up his love of meat, potatoes, and dessert, so I don’t try to deprive him of his favorites.  For example, I prepared bratwurst, mashed potatoes, and strawberry jello for him last night.  My own dinner consisted of a big bowl of salad (romaine, scallions, cucumbers, tomatoes, dill, and feta) and some leftover capilotade (a Provençal fish dish made with cod, sweet vermouth and capers).  I guess you could call it parallel eating.  At least we’re sitting down at the same table at the same time. 

Muffin season also happens to coincide with soup season.  A fire in the fireplace, a good book, a pot of soup simmering on the stove, the aroma of freshly baked muffins in the air – these are major components of my winter survival plan.  Mmm, I think it’s time for a muffin break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment