Saturday, November 24, 2012

Post-Thanksgiving Report

  -->
Saturday, November 24, 2012 – Post-Thanksgiving Report

Elliott looks good in an apron, doesn't he?

with Elisa and Katie

Elisa and Christian

Heidi and Harvey came down from New York.

Teri and Dave drove up from Yorktown.
Matt
Thanksgiving 2012, which took days and days of planning and preparation, is over.  Last Wednesday night, when I fell into bed exhausted after spending the afternoon and evening in the kitchen, I asked myself why I do this every year.  But it was worth it.  We had a wonderful multi-day celebration with family and friends.  The turkey was moist and tasty (brining is the key), and there was an abundance of delicious side dishes and desserts.  If I had to pick one favorite item from our feast, it would have to be Teri’s cornbread.  There’s still some in the refrigerator, along with a few other leftovers.  

Heidi and Harvey on the Key Bridge

Walking to Georgetown from Arlington

Tackle Box - sustainable seafood

On Friday, I worked off some of the extra calories by taking a long, long walk across the Key Bridge from Arlington, Virginia to Georgetown and back, with my brother and sister-in-law for company.  We stopped at Tackle Box on M Street for a quick lunch so I could satisfy my craving for fish tacos.  I’ve had a constant craving for them ever since I returned from Arizona.  In fact, when Elliott and I had a pre-Thanksgiving dinner out last Tuesday evening at Artie’s (a local restaurant), I was very pleasantly surprised that the grilled mahi-mahi I ordered turned out to be a beautiful, delicious and elegantly deconstructed version of a fish taco.  Unfortunately, I didn’t bring my camera to the restaurant, so I’ll try to describe it as best I can.  Starting at bottom, there was a layer of black beans, which filled the large dinner plate.  Two crispy tostadas were placed on top of the beans and the grilled fish filets were perched on the tostadas.  Then everything was covered with a heaping mound of extremely tasty and brightly colored jicama slaw that included cabbage, corn, peppers, onions, and cilantro, all mixed together with a piquant lime crema. 

Now that all our guests have departed and it’s just the two of us again, the house seems so quiet.  The days are getting shorter and the weather is getting colder.  The thought of impending winter fills me with dread.  Elliott hates the cold and I hate the darkness.  Can’t we just cancel the next four months and go directly to spring, starting tomorrow?  If not, I’m going to hibernate, emerging only to make forays to Trader Joe’s and Wegman’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment