Sunday, November 11, 2012

Residual Effects



Sunday, November 11, 2012 – Residual Effects

Although our trip to Arizona is over, I’m experiencing the lingering effects of our Road Scholar program.  First of all, I’m much more attuned to my natural surroundings.  After such intensive study of the desert flora and fauna, I’m paying much more attention to the plants and animals right here in our area.  When I went for a walk through our woods after we got back home, I looked at the trees with fresh eyes.  Of course, I appreciated the gorgeous colors of the fall foliage, but I also noticed the variety of trees.  I may not know their names, but I could easily see differences in the size, the bark, the leaves, etc.  Here, for example, is a tree that seems to have eyes on its smooth grayish trunk:   

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is?

I recognized that some of the tall trees were holly trees, with red berries and leaves that stay green throughout the winter.  The tallest trees appear to be bare already, but many other trees are still sporting their saffron, orange, and crimson foliage.  






Also, notice how this massive tree, that fell during Hurricane Sandy, forms an natural bridge for squirrels traveling over the path.  I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but I can easily walk under it. 

 
The Road Scholar trip has definitely awakened the naturalist in me.  Yesterday, while walking on the path, I came across a snake.  Instead of screaming and immediately running in the opposite direction, I peered at it and tried to make a mental note of its characteristics so I could try to identify it later.  So far, I haven’t been able to figure out what is was, so maybe someone can give me some ideas.  The snake was about 8 inches long, although it was hard to tell because it never stretched out in a straight line.  It was very slender, and it kept moving, forming beautiful, sinuous designs on a sunny patch of the path.  At one point, it raised its head and stuck out its long tongue.  The color of the snake was medium taupe, almost the same color as dirt, and there were charcoal gray markings down its back.  I stayed and watched it for a couple of minutes, but unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera with me.  When I went back today, I couldn’t find it. 

Another long-lasting benefit of the trip is my awareness of the health-giving and medicinal properties of many of the desert plants.  When we were at the Sonoran Desert Museum, our guide pointed out the jojoba plant – which is pronounced “ho-ho-va,” with an accent on the second syllable.  In order to conserve water, this clever (or well-adapted) plant turns its small waxy leaves so that their edges are facing the sun.  So the leaves turn throughout the day in order to minimize the loss of moisture.  From the seeds of the jojoba bush, we can obtain a moisturizing oil.  In fact, I found that jojoba seed oil was one of the main ingredients in my hair conditioner. 

In addition, the trip is responsible for expanding my culinary horizons.  I plan to continue my exploration of Mexican cuisine, searching out restaurants, recipes and ingredients so that I can re-create some of the tasty dishes I sampled in Arizona.  Hmm, how about turkey mole poblano for Thanksgiving?  

Finally, here are a few photos especially for Gale, who is spending her first autumn in the desert, and  misses the leaves.  



No comments:

Post a Comment