Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Countdown Begins: B-Day Minus 30

 
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 – The Countdown Begins

One month until Elliott’s 100th birthday, so the official countdown begins today.  B-Day minus 30!  This is like planning a wedding.  In fact, I think it’s worse.  When we got married, it didn’t take us very long to put together our ceremony and reception for 25 guests. I’m anticipating well over 100 people (maybe closer to 200) coming to the open house over the course of the Memorial Day weekend.  We hope to send out invitations by email and snail mail within the next few days. 

Yes, it’s a lot of work, but I certainly won’t complain.  We’re thrilled to be able to celebrate Elliott’s reaching the century mark.  In the past couple of days, we’ve gotten back into our regular exercise routine with morning workouts at the gym.  I’m jealous of his weekly sessions with the trainer, so we agreed to alternate.  Next week will be my week.  We’ll see who can leg press more – not that I’m competitive. 

I’m making progress on Elliott – The Movie, a Robin Thompson Production, starring Elliott, of course.  The red-carpet premiere is set for May 26.  Thank you to my instructor at the Apple Store where I had a very informative session yesterday.  In between working out, working on all aspects of the birthday celebration, and managing my mother’s upcoming transition to assisted living, I’ve instituted a new activity.  I don’t know if I mentioned previously that I’ve developed an interest in wine.  A year ago, I hardly knew one grape from another, but I’ve been paying attention to what my friends drink at our neighborhood happy hours.  In the past, I’ve chosen wines by looking at labels.  If I like the label, I buy the wine.  Also, I’ve tended to drink mostly white wines.  However, now I’m especially interested in red wines, since they seem to have so many healthful properties (when used in moderation).   

During the winter, I bought a few bottles of red wine at Trader Joe’s and started drinking a glass at dinner.  By the way, a bottle lasts about a week, since I’m the only one at home who drinks it.  While Elisa was still living in the area, she and I went to Total Wine and, with the help of a wine advisor, purchased a mixed case of reds.  But I discovered a problem related to my nightly glass of wine with dinner habit:  while alcohol can help you fall asleep, it can interfere with sleeping soundly through the night.  So I temporarily suspended my health-through-red-wine program.  But I knew there had to be a better solution.  I did some thinking and came up with a plan I call “Wine in the Afternoon.”  That way, I can get all of those health benefits that wine offers and still get a good night’s sleep!  I tried it out today for the first time.  At 3:00 p.m., I opened a bottle of Thorne-Clark Terra Barossa Shiraz (screw tops are wonderful), poured myself a modest glassful, and set out some nutritious snacks to munch on as I sipped.  How’s that for creative problem solving? 

No comments:

Post a Comment