Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Moonlight Picnic

 
Tuesday, April 3, 2012 – Planning a Picnic in the Moonlight

Elliott is still trying to wrap up the taxes so I traded my morning workout session at the gym for a walk through the neighborhood this morning.  The temperature was hovering around fifty degrees and the sun was shining.  The newly green treetops brushed against a perfect expanse of cerulean sky.  The sweet smell of fresh mulch was in the air.  Cascades of just-flowered lavender azaleas joined their more precocious fuchsia and coral sisters.  Flower-frosted ground cover spilled over rocks and low stone walls.  Tulips in vivid lipstick shades stood proudly, looking out over the tall blades of green leaves.  

As so often happens during my walks, my thoughts turned to food.  Specifically, I started pondering what to make for dinner tonight.   I didn’t have anything particular in mind, so I did a mental check of the contents of the refrigerator:  eggs, lentil salad, lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, celery, cheese, Black Forest ham (a surprise for Elliott), a jar of dill-marinated herring.  I had just taken a loaf of pain de campagne (Elliott’s favorite bread) out of the freezer.  It seemed like we had the fixings for a picnic.  But then I had an inspired idea:  a picnic in the moonlight on the National Mall.  Actually, I have an ulterior motive for my plan.  I really want to see the new installation on the façade of the Hirschhorn Museum, which is only visible after dark.  It's a 360 degree video projection on the circular building with a musical accompaniment.  Check out the link to see more about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment