Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy First Day

 
Tuesday, January 1, 2013 – Happy First Day

What’s with these dark mornings?  I got up at 6, hoping to see the sun rise on the first day of 2013, but even at 7, it looked like night out there.  I thought that after the winter solstice the sun was supposed to rise earlier and earlier.  Not fair, I said, as I went back inside and started a pot of steel cut oats simmering on the stove to usher in the new year. 

For Elliott, the new year means exciting new projects.  With three bathrooms and one kitchen to remodel, he’ll be busy for a long time.  The first bathroom project is already underway.  I never realized how heavy porcelain floor tiles were until we moved four boxes of them from the car into the house yesterday.  And the 25-pound bag of grout that I hauled in felt more like a ton of dead weight.  More trips to Lowe’s are on the schedule this week, much to Elliott’s delight.  We have hired someone to do the actual labor, but knowing Elliott, he’ll surely try to be actively involved.  His new regimen of pain meds is keeping his pain at a tolerable level, and he has learned to avoid certain activities that seem to exacerbate it.  

 
Today also marks the one-year anniversary of my blog.  When I started it on January 1, 2012, I thought I’d use it to track my first year of retirement.  But since then, I’ve become addicted to writing, so I’m not signing off yet.  Here’s hoping the new year will bring many more adventures to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment