Thursday, January 17, 2013

Running Away from Home

Thursday, January 17, 213 - Running Away from Home


The past few days have been so, so, so exhausting, both physically and mentally, that I’ve decided to run away from home.  We’ve been on the go constantly, with multiple medical appointments for Elliott, including a late night MRI on Tuesday.  When we saw our long-time family physician yesterday, he made it quite clear that we’re not going to find a permanent “fix” for Elliott’s back problems.  Injections haven’t helped, and surgery isn’t an option.  The damage to his spine is too extensive and severe.  The doctor basically told Elliott that he should take his painkillers and stop spending his time chasing after a cure. 

This latest round of medical appointments was prompted by recent significant changes in Elliott’s condition.  Since the first of the year, he seems to have aged considerably.  His walking is slower and more labored.  Even in the house, he now uses his walker.  His stature is less upright.  Although he realizes he has to accept these changes, he has tried not to let them interfere with his life.  He still manages to get around and to keep busy, and we’re still planning some travel in the coming months.  It’s more of a psychological adjustment than anything else.  Even though he’s over 100, he’s not ready to be “old.” 

Meanwhile, Marshall is staying with us while he looks for an apartment and we’re devoting lots of time to helping him get re-acclimated to the DC area.  The first order of business was to get him a real winter coat.  He and Elliott accomplished that yesterday.  And it’s a good thing, because snow is in the forecast for later today.  Then our attention turned to researching apartments in various neighborhoods.  Yesterday we drove through sections in Arlington, from Ballston to Clarendon and Courthouse, to give him an overview of the area.  I got so excited pointing out the many attractive features of Clarendon and Courthouse – Metro accessibility, great shopping and restaurants, etc. – that I’m ready to pack up and move there myself! 

Squeezed in between doctors’ appointments and apartment hunting was my informal orientation at George Mason University, conducted by my friend Eleanor who is serving as my “big sister” on campus.  I now have my official student ID card, my tuition waiver, and my parking permit.  I still have to purchase textbooks and figure out the exact location of my class, which begins next Tuesday.  The school has changed and grown so much in the twenty-plus years since I got my M.Ed. that it’s barely recognizable.

Although the sun hasn’t been shining, I’ve been doing my best to keep my spirits up.  On Tuesday, I met my friend Kathy at Le Pain Quotidien for lunch.  Their chicken pot-au-feu, served with harissa, was perfect comfort food for the dreary and damp winter day.  And I couldn’t leave without a selection of mini-pastries that I brought home for “the boys.”  Having a houseguest means taking more care with meal preparation.  It’s fun having an appreciative audience to cook for, but it’s also a lot of work. 

Mini-pastries from Le Pain Quotidien

Assorted breads at Le Pain Quotidien

I really need about 24 hours with nothing to do.  However, back in November, I’d promised myself that I’d get up to New York City to see the new Matisse exhibit at the Met, so this morning I hopped onto a big white bus for the trip up to The Big Apple.  Just as daylight was fading from the sky, the bus pulled up near Penn Station.  Soon I was enveloped in the crush of humanity walking down 34th Street in the direction of the Empire State Building.  I even managed to do a little shopping on my way to the subway.  At Uniqlo, a bright and modern Japanese clothing store, I found two shirts and a jacket to add to my wardrobe. 

Unfortunately, with all the distractions at home, I neglected to pack a few important items, namely cash, camera and cauliflower.  I realize it may be strange to travel with a head of cauliflower, but I’d bought it with the intention of bringing it to Elisa’s apartment and making curried cauliflower soup.  So instead of cooking, we went out for dinner at TrĂ©, an Italian restaurant on Ludlow Street on the Lower East Side.  Our meal consisted of whole wheat spaghetti with shrimp and broccoli, and an assortment of delicious vegetable dishes:  zucchini marinated in garlic and mint, cauliflower with butter and scallions, and roasted red peppers with capers and olives.  I would have taken photos, but I didn’t have my camera.  Thank goodness Elisa has a smart phone, which she used to take a picture of the pasta dish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment