Friday, January 25, 2013

Is It Snowing Yet?


Friday, January 25, 2012 – Is It Snowing Yet?

I was on the verge of going to a Zumba class this morning, but instead, I decided to declare a stay-at-home day and use mega-doses of fluids to try to dislodge the cold that has established residency in my respiratory system.  Of course, I also didn’t think anyone in the gym would appreciate my non-stop coughing.  The fluid remedy, which has worked for me in the past, has turned me into a two-fisted drinker.  Just a few minutes ago, I had my third cup of tea in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.  It’s a good thing the kitchen is well-stocked with a variety of different tea and coffee choices.  If I start to feel bored, I might add a glass of tomato juice at lunchtime.  In addition to ridding myself of this unwanted cold, I’ve been trying especially hard not to pass along my germs to Elliott.  So far, I’ve been successful.  He and Marshall went out for a couple of hours and I’m using my time (between trips to the bathroom) to read, practice my Torah reading, and watch for the first flakes of snow to appear.  If I’m lucky, Mr. and Mrs. Fox (a pair of very plump red foxes) will make their daily visit while I’m looking out into the backyard.  

Our friendly neighborhood fox

Thursday's morning's snow at 7 a.m. in the backyard

George Mason's statue on the campus of GMU
Yesterday was the kind of snow day I like:  a light frosting of pristine white early in the morning, and then melting away as day progressed.  It looked lovely and it didn’t interfere with my afternoon class art history class at George Mason.  Being a student along with a bunch of undergraduates is a rejuvenating experience.  And the professor is a very stimulating lecturer.  I’m very excited to embark on this study of Western art from the Renaissance to the modern period, and I’m already planning my next visit to the National Gallery in Washington – to coincide with DC Restaurant Week, of course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment