Friday, January 18, 2013

On the Lower East Side, Looking West


Friday, January 18, 2012 – On the Lower East Side, Looking West

There must be something in the air in New York City.  You hear about its legendary energy, and now I know for a fact that it’s real.  The evidence? I was able to stay up last night way, way past my regular bedtime, and even at 1:00 a.m., I didn’t feel tired.  In fact, for the first time in my life, I watched The Daily Show and The Colbert Report at their regular late-night times.  The only reason I went to bed shortly after 12:45 a.m. was because Christian and Elisa, who have to go to work in the morning (imagine that!), switched off the television in the middle of What Not to Wear. 

Of course, I slept late this morning.  (For me, 8:00 a.m. qualifies as late.)  The first thing I did when I determined that I’d gotten enough sleep was to push back the curtains to see the view.  There, through the floor to ceiling west-facing windows was the geometry of the Manhattan skyline against a patchwork of blue and white.  And at long last, the sun was shining.  In fact, the reflection of the morning sun on the windows of the tall buildings created a mirror-like mosaic as I looked west. 



Since Christian left very early and Elisa left shortly after I awoke, I have the apartment to myself.  It’s easy to fantasize that this is my very own New York pied-a-terre.  Let’s check out the refrigerator.  Hmm, soy milk, tapenade, taramasalata, and fresh thyme.  Oh, and a bottle of sparkling white burgundy, perhaps a leftover from New Year’s Eve?  Also Brita water pitcher, half the size of the one in my kitchen in Fairfax.  Instead of a Costco-sized megabox of Cheerios, there’s a suitably scaled package of Nature’s Path Heritage Flakes perched on top of the refrigerator next to a box of Le Petit Ecolier cookies (dark chocolate variety).  I definitely approve. 

Elisa and Christian have done a wonderful job of keeping the furnishings streamlined and the clutter to a minimum.  They’ve created a calm and restful haven, which is just what I need for my three-day getaway.  After I spend a leisurely couple of hours here this morning, I’ll take the subway up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for my date with Henri (Matisse).  

No comments:

Post a Comment