Thursday, April 25, 2013

About Time


Thursday, April 25, 2013 - About Time

What a difference a few days can make!  My backyard is curtained in green, as the trees have dressed themselves seemingly overnight in fresh shades of spring.  All through the neighborhood, the signs of the season are clear.  Tulips have burst into brilliant colors, Japanese maples are ablaze with crimson leaves, and dogwoods have erupted into dancing clouds of pale crème and pink blossoms.  While walking yesterday morning, I came across a weed-choked lot where a tangle of glycine (wisteria) was growing wild on a mound of dirt.  The vines, with their purple flowers, instantly evoked memories of the South of France, where glycine draped across stone walls or hanging over terraces was a common sight.  Everyday, more and more azaleas are popping open.  I’m treated to a dazzling display whenever I look out the window.  And all of this occurred in such a short time.  






Time has been on my mind in my art history class as well, where we seen to be racing through the centuries as the end of the semester approaches.  We spent so many weeks at the beginning of the semester getting to know the artists of the Renaissance that it was a bit of a shock to move into the 17th century and make the acquaintance of Baroque artists such as Velasquez, Rubens, and Rembrandt.  Suddenly, the Baroque Era gave way to the frivolities of the Rococo, and before I knew it, we were in the midst of the 18th century Enlightenment and the changes in the visual arts seemed to come so rapidly.  At our last class, we were looking at Jean-Louis David’s monumental historical paintings, such as The Oath of the Horatii, in the Neo-Classical style.  Today we’ll be looking at historical paintings by Goya and Delacroix in the Romantic style.  When I think back over what we’ve covered in the past few months, I get a case of mental whiplash.  But I’m enjoying the class tremendously, especially because my professor always anchors our analysis of the art in its historical context.  It would have wonderful to take this type of course while I was getting my undergraduate degree in history – but it’s never too late to add to one’s knowledge. 

As far as my schedule goes, this has been an ideal week.  Two days of subbing left me with enough time to get through myriad other activities without feeling too rushed.  Yesterday, while Elliott and Matt worked on painting the downstairs bathroom, I took some self-declared “me” time and went to the mall to do a little shopping.  Now that I have a few new items in my spring wardrobe, it’s time to banish the turtlenecks, corduroys, and boots.  Bring on the warmer weather!  And I’m hoping that I’ll have an opportunity to try out my new purchases this coming weekend at the beach.  I’m going to a three-day Hadassah program (Mind, Body, Spirit) in Rehoboth, Delaware.  The agenda is pretty full, but I’m bringing along my Kindle with a book on the conversos in New Mexico in preparation for my Road Scholar trip in May.  Also on my Kindle is the classical French drama Horace written in 1640 by Pierre Corneille.  I downloaded it yesterday after a little online research revealed that the story corresponds to The Oath of Horatii by David.  Of course, the play is in French.  Actually, it’s in 17th century French verse.  If I get very ambitious, I’ll read it on the beach.  Then again, maybe I won’t.  I first attempted to read Corneille during my freshman year in college.  I still cringe when I think back to that French literature class.  But maybe it’s time to try again. 

While I’m away, Elliott has a full range of activities planned with Matt and Marshall, so I know he won’t be bored.  I’ve already heard them plotting about going out for dinner and making an excursion to Ikea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment