Friday, April 5, 2013

Blossoming

-->
Friday, April 5, 2013 – Blossoming

It’s finally happening, as we all knew it inevitably would:  the cherry trees are well on their way to full-fledged glory.  Blossom-mania has overtaken the entire city.  On Thursday evening, we attended an opening of an exhibit for DC FotoWeek, which focused on the cherry blossoms.  Bob Epstein, an old friend of Elliott’s from his days teaching at the Corcoran School of Art, was one of the featured photographers.  His large format images of blossoms, printed on white aluminum, were ravishingly beautiful.  Of course, I’m eager to see the cherry blossoms in person.  On Saturday morning, I’ll make my first circuit of the Tidal Basin.  

At the FotoWeek DC exhibit

Robert (Bob) Epstein and Elliott in front of Bob's paintings
Although we had several wintery days this past week, with temperatures only in the 40s and stinging winds, the weather has finally turned spring-like.  I celebrated today by planting pansies and herbs – basil, dill, and chives – in pots.  My gardening skills are quite rudimentary, but I find that getting my hands full of dirt gives me a certain childlike pleasure.  After a busy day shopping and eating at Ikea, Elliott took a late-afternoon nap while I sat outside in the sunshine with the neighbors and toasted the new season with a glass of chilled Central Coast white wine, redolent of apple blossoms, honeydew and peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment