Monday, April 8, 2013

Reporting from Cherry Blossom Central


Monday, April 8, 2013 – Reporting from Cherry Blossom Central

Only a few blossoms were fully open.
On Saturday, I went into DC with a friend to walk around the Tidal Basin and admire the cherry blossoms.  There were lots of people (and their pets and strollers), but not many blossoms.   




The recent cold snap made the cherry trees a little reluctant and we really had to search to find blossoms that were open.  However, I was amazed at how the city and the National Park Service have turned this annual occurrence into a major event.  For the first time, I saw all sorts of tents along the walking route. At the information tent, I learned about the four stages of cherry blossom development: florets visible; peduncle elongation; puffy white; full bloom.   


Several tents were devoted to various kinds of cherry blossom related merchandise (mugs, shirts, books, origami, parasols, tote bags, etc.).  There were even packages of seeds in case you wanted to grow your own cherry tree.  I was tempted, but I managed to exercise supreme restraint.  There were also tents selling food, both Asian and American.  In addition, there was a stage set up and the entertainment was free, multicultural (salsa music, Bangla dance and cherry blossoms?), and continuous.  There was even a zumba class going on in front of the Jefferson Memorial.  

You can plant seeds and grow your own cherry tree!
Since the blossoms were still in their infancy on Saturday, I decided to return to the Tidal Basin on Sunday with another friend.  I was hoping that the warmer weekend temperatures might encourage more blossoms to open fully.  As anticipated, there were a few more blossoms, but there were also many more people.  One highlight of Sunday’s walk was the chance to hear a live performance of Japanese music performed by a group of koto players.  

They played Sakura, which I learned in elementary school.
The cherry blossoms are expected to reach their peak around mid-week, so I hope to get back into DC on Wednesday.  But even without masses of pink and white blossoms, the Tidal Basin is one of my favorite places to walk.  This past weekend, I got my first glimpse of the recently completed Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.  I’m not quite sure how I feel about that monumental semi-relief statue of Dr. King.  It reminds me of ancient Egyptian sculptures of the pharaohs.  And I always love to visit the FDR Memorial, which looked especially appealing at this time of year. 

That pose looks very severe to me.  What do you think?
 By the way, when I say I walked around the Tidal Basin, that isn’t quite accurate.  It was more like doing the cherry blossom shuffle.  This is the technique:  Slide your right foot forward a couple of inches, then slide your left foot forward a couple of inches.  Repeat.  Pause every five or six steps to gaze up into the tree branches, turning your head from side to side.  Try to avoid collisions with low tree limbs and swinging telephoto lenses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment