Saturday, December 22, 2012

Deja Vu at AHS

 
Saturday, December 22, 2012 – Déjà Vu at AHS

I’ve missed blogging so much.  These past few days of subbing have left me thoroughly exhausted, with no time at all to write down the thoughts going through my mind.  There was a sense of déjà vu, as I heard the alarm go off at 5 o’clock every morning.  Once I was out of bed, I fell into the old familiar routines – making oatmeal for breakfast, timing my drive to school so I could listen to Garrison Keillor read the day’s poem on the car radio, calling out good morning as I walked through the halls of AHS.  All that early-morning smiling felt wonderful, in fact.  And the days were fun, aside from the mad rush to get to the ladies room between classes and the winter pep rally in the gym.  Of course, I had to watch Frankenstein (the 1933 movie) three times, but I also got lots of reading done on my Kindle. 

The real problem began once the final bell rang at 2 pm, and I’m not talking about the challenge of getting out of the parking lot before the buses started rolling.  No, I’m talking about the post-school craving for a period of quiet, restful solitude; I didn’t want to talk to anyone, listen to anyone, or deal with anyone’s problems until I’d had a chance to recharge and replenish my physical and mental energy.  A nap, some reading time, a cup of tea would ideally be on the agenda. 

That wasn’t how these past few days worked out, however.  As usual, Elliott was so happy to see me when I got home that I didn’t even have a chance to take my coat off before he was trying to engage me in conversation.  And we’ve also had a houseguest, my stepson Marshall visiting from California, so I stepped into the role of hostess as soon as I walked into the house.  After running errands with “the boys,” cooking and cleaning up from dinner or spending an evening out at a restaurant, I couldn’t even fall into bed until well after 9 p.m. 

Ahh, but, the weekend is finally here – and the world didn’t end!  Just in case, we all went to a Mayan-themed end of world party last night at Pam and Bud’s house, complete with margaritas, sombreros, and a lavish buffet of Mexican food.  We enjoyed everything - taquitos, guacamole, enchiladas, chiles rellenos, tacos, Spanish rice, corn custard, frijoles refritos, salad, and Mexican cookies.  Notice the name tags?  Our names are written in Mayan glyphs. 

Here I am with one of our neighbors.
Bud makes delicious (and dangerous) margaritas.

Elliott thought the guacamole was a little too spicy to him!

Marshall, about to munch a taquito

Pam getting some help from one of the neighbors
 
The winter solstice occurred less than twenty-four hours ago, and the new season wasted no time transforming our weather.  By late Friday afternoon, frosty flakes were flying through the air on a biting wind, a portend of what’s likely to come our way in January and February.  While I was out buying paper for our annual holiday letter (late, as usual), I clutched my coat to my neck to keep out the vicious chill, and glanced up at the sky.  All day, it had been a painting in shades of gray.  Now, on this shortest day of the year, I was eager to get back home before the ominous darkness descended.  How many days until spring arrives?

No comments:

Post a Comment