Monday, December 24, 2012

Embracing the Season

 
Monday, December 24, 2012 – Embracing the Season

Temperatures plummeting, winds whipping, skies whitening – I can’t deny it any longer.  Winter is here.  And since it’s not going to depart anytime soon, I’ve decided I might as well embrace the season.  So, no more complaints about the cold, the darkness, etc.  For the next few months, I love winter.  And here are some of the reasons:

It gives me a perfect excuse to stay inside.
I get more reading done.
Time to cook comfort food (soups, vegetable stews, veggie chili, etc.)
Time to heat up the kitchen by baking  (muffins, quick breads, cookies)
Cardinals look beautiful against the snow.
Oranges, grapefruit, and clementines are at their peak.
A crackling fire in the fireplace
I can wear all the interesting scarves I’ve knitted.
Smoother hair
No mosquitos
Candlelight all day long
Fewer people at the museums in DC
And the days are already starting to get longer!
 
Now that that’s settled, I’m ready to enjoy my winter break from school.  On Saturday, we celebrated my mother’s 87th birthday with lunch at Red Lobster with a couple of her Greenspring friends.  She enjoyed her shrimp tacos and dessert sampler.   

Celebrating Katie's birthday





In the spirit of Christmas and friendship, Elliott and I attended a Sunday morning carol service at Fairfax United Methodist where friends Pam and Bud sing in the choir.  Then we spent a warm and cozy afternoon with dear friends Millicent and Andy (and their daughter, Taylor) at their home in Alexandria.  Our friendship dates back many years, to the time when we all lived in France.   

Taylor, Andy, and Millicent

with Marshall and Elliott
And today, Christmas Eve, I baked two loaves of julekake, the cardamom-scented Christmas bread, in honor of Elliott’s Norwegian heritage.  Marshall, who is traveling back to San Francisco today, will take one home with him.  

Two loaves of Norwegian "Julekake" cooling


Our plans for the 25th include lunch at a Chinese restaurant with Matt – a Thompson family tradition.  We may go to a movie afterwards, or perhaps to the Fiddler on the Roof sing-along at the JCC.  Merry Christmas to all of my Christmas-celebrating friends and family members. 

No comments:

Post a Comment