Friday, December 28, 2012

Solo in the City

 
Friday, December 28, 2012 – Solo in the City

I’ve started making trips into DC on my own – something I haven’t done much in recent years – and I’ve discovered that it makes me feel young again.  There’s a thrill reminiscent of the feeling I had in my teens when I’d hop on the Long Island Railroad for the trip into New York City.  I’d walk around the streets, accountable to no one, not knowing what or whom I’d encounter.

Today’s plan was to attend a play at the DC JCC.  A few weeks earlier, I’d ordered a ticket for myself on impulse, without bothering to find a friend to accompany me.  (And the theater isn’t really close to a Metro station, so it would be hard for Elliott to attend.)  The sun was shining when I set out in the morning, but the temperatures were only in the 30s.  There’s nothing like a brisk walk in the bracing air to build up an appetite.  I got off the Metro at Farragut Square, walked diagonally across the park, stopping to gaze up at the statue of Farragut.  I’ve walked past this statue countless times, but today was the first time I’ve wondered about this Farragut character.  Unfortunately, there was no plaque with information about his significance.  Later, at home, I checked online and discovered that he is Admiral David Farragut, who served in the Union Navy during the Civil War.  He’s known for calling out, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"  Good to know.  

Admiral Farragut's statue in Farragut Square

Anyway, I was a little concerned about getting lunch since the play started at noon.  Would I find someplace to eat (someplace interesting and open early, that is) in the vicinity of the theater?  Fortunately, Café Luna on P Street opened at 10 a.m. and their pizza oven was already fired up when I walked in and ordered a pizza shortly before 11 a.m.  It was my first pizza in months, and it was a good one – crispy thin crust topped with spinach, mushrooms, and red peppers, plenty of cheese and lots of fresh garlic.  (I’m glad I found a Lindor chocolate truffle at the bottom of my bag to counter my garlic breath!)  I could only eat half the pizza, so I packed up the rest, just in case I got hungry at intermission time. 

Pizza at Café Luna
 
Apples from the Desert, a modern Israeli drama about the tensions between traditionally religious Sephardim and more secular Ashkenazi Israelis, is part of Theater J’sVoices from a Changing Middle East Festival.  I enjoyed the story and the performances, and the the Friday afternoon performance was surprisingly well-attended.  Who are all these people who don’t work during the day???

The play was over by 2 p.m., but I wasn’t in a hurry to get home.  I was enjoying my freedom and I wanted to linger in the city a bit longer.  I grazed my way back towards Farragut Square, stopping at Naan and Beyond, an Indian fast food place, for a veggie samosa (good) and a serving of Baingain Bharta (smoky eggplant, tomatoes, onions, tasty spices, but too much oil).  It was still relatively early when I finished up there, so I decided to be one of those coffee shop people – you know what I mean, people who sit for hours in a coffee shop with their electronic devices.  Except in my case, I didn’t have an electronic device with me.  However, I had a library book, so I went into Caribou Coffee, ordered a decaf cappuccino, and sat at a window table.  I lasted about 30 minutes before I got antsy and had to get up and move around.  How do those people sit there all day? 

At last, it was time to go home at last.  Of course, I was still carrying my leftover pizza in a carry-out container.  I really didn’t want to bring it back home with me.  I tried to give to a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk at the corner of 17th and L, but he was only accepting cash donations.  I guess beggars CAN be choosers.  (sigh) 

No comments:

Post a Comment