Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Getting Ready to Fly South

 
Tuesday, December 4, 2012 – Getting Ready to Fly South

The calendar says December, but I’m confused.  For a couple of days, the temperatures dipped below the freezing mark.  In the early morning darkness, I noticed a thin layer of frost sparkling on the trashcans.  That sounds about right for this time of year.  But the temperatures have been creeping up again, to 71 yesterday, and even balmier weather is forecast for today.  I just got back from an 8 a.m. walk on this remarkably gentle morning.  The dappled sky was more cloud than blue, tempering the warmth of the sun and diffusing its light.  The colors were soft and muted, but it’s amazing how many shades of brown and tan you can see in a pile of leaves.  And against the muted background, the clusters of scarlet berries spilling from the pyrocantha bushes were all the more startling.  From the sound of the warblers outside, the birds were enjoying the warm interlude just as much as I was. 

Despite this unseasonably mild weather, I’m preparing the fly south in just a few hours for a short (4-day) visit to Florida.  The purpose of my visit is to visit relatives in the area between Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, Florida.  Elliott won’t be joining me for this trip.  I’m sure he’ll be fine at home for a few days, and he certainly won’t starve.  I’ve left the house stocked with enough provisions to last a month, at least.  So live it up while I’m gone, Elliott.  Eat marshmallows for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment