Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Comfort of Daily Rituals

 
Sunday – February 26, 2012   The Comfort of Daily Rituals

Enjoying the return to my daily rituals:  grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s – can’t live without their Mediterranean hummus; eating dinner at home – nothing special, but that’s what made it so satisfying; sleeping in my own bed – ahhh; waking up to the welcoming birdsong outside my bedroom window; preparing a cup of green tea the right way – not using a tea bag or microwave; making oatmeal with bananas and sunflower seeds; sitting in the morning sunshine to read The Washington Post; waving to neighbors; taking a walk on the path through the woods – and climbing over the towering tree that crashed down while we were away.  Yes, in the short time we’ve been back, I’ve relished all of these moments. 

And Monday morning,  more pleasures of being home:  a walk to the end of the driveway to pick up the newspaper; plenty of space to unroll my yoga mat; and last, but not least, my hair has lost its halo of Florida frizz. 

I can’t quite believe that I’ve only been retired for two months (not quite that, in fact).  My previous life seems light-years in the past.  Time is such an elusive concept to grasp.  With all the changes recently, including getting away from my familiar surroundings, the old rules of time have become skewed.  Although I’m back home, I’m feeling a sense of disorientation.  While I go through the motions of daily living, I’m trying to figure out this new reality.   


No comments:

Post a Comment