Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Survivor: Northern Virginia


February 1, 2012
I must congratulate myself – I’ve survived my first month of retirement.  Now I realize that I haven’t actually retired at all.  I’ve merely traded one job (as teacher) for several others. As caffeine-fueled family CEO, I’m chief caretaker, chauffeur, cheerleader, cook, coach, coordinator, communicator, confidante, and counselor.  This is not a complaint (I’m no kvetch), but the simple reality:  the space in my life formerly filled by AHS is now comfortably occupied.   I need not fear that I’ll be sitting at home staring at the walls.  In fact, I have to make a conscious effort to find the time for my own activities, such as exercise and writing.  On some days, it’s a challenge to find that time, but overall, I’m pleased with the balance I’ve been able to achieve.  This week is filled with medical appointments for both Elliott and Elisa, and, of course, I’m the designated driver.  Yet I’ve set aside time for walks in the neighborhood, a sushi lunch, and a haircut.  Other things on my to-do list can wait until we return from Florida, for example, stopping by the FCPS Human Resources office to activate my status on the substitute list.  

No comments:

Post a Comment