Thursday, February 23, 2012

Last Day in St. Pete


Thursday, February 23, 2012 – Finding the Fountain of Youth on Our Last Day in St. Pete

Today is our last full day in St. Pete.  When I opened the blinds around 7 a.m., I was greeted by a view of gray glop.  The TV said it was a muggy morning, and they were right.  But I escaped to sunny Spain, at least temporarily.  We were running low on Cheerios and I didn’t want to deprive Elliott of his favorite breakfast.  So, after I showered, I generously offered to go next door and eat at Pincho y Pincho.  The tiny jewel-like space brings Andalucia to mind with its dark wood, terra floors, and sultry lighting.  Patterned tiles line the walls.  Blue and white ceramic pitchers dangle above the bar.  Unfortunately, 8:00 a.m. is too early to order Sangria – too bad, because I wanted one of those heavy blue-rimmed goblets.  I took a seat at the bar and the waitress (formerly from Long Island) poured me a mug of coffee.  Who is it that said:  eat like a king at breakfast, like a prince at lunch, and like a pauper at dinnertime?  I think I heard it on the Dr. Oz show a few months ago.  I certainly followed part one of that sage advice.  This breakfast was a real splurge:  an omelette with Manchego cheese, tomatoes, red peppers, and mushrooms; roasted potato wedges; and a tall glass of orange juice.

I took my time eating and chatted with the regulars.  When does rush hour start?  I wondered aloud, glancing at the quiet streets.  There is no rush hour in downtown St. Pete, the regulars told me.  Once, an enormous truck rumbled by, hauling in equipment for the upcoming Grand Prix.  A few minutes later, twenty or thirty bicyclists, arrayed in multi-colored plumage, rounded the corner of Central and First Street in what the regulars call the daily Tour de St. Pete.  Otherwise, it was eerily calm.  

Elliott and I went to see some other properties this morning after breakfast.  These were in an historic (i.e. old) and definitely non-luxury coop building on Fourth Avenue.   It’s also restricted to the 55-plus age group.  One of the apartments was tiny, but would serve well as a pied-a-terre, and the price was right.  However, I have a few reservations.  I could live without certain luxuries, but there was no parking.  Secondly, I don’t know that I’d be happy living exclusively with older people.  I don’t want to make an impulsive decision.  We need to get home and get some perspective on the situation before we decide what to do. 

The sun has reappeared and I’ll take one last walk around St. Pete this afternoon.  Later today, we’ll pack up so we’ll be ready to check out of the Ponce around 9 in the morning.  By the way, here’s a photo of Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth, which we finally found in St. Petersburg. 


Actually, it's a photo of the water fountain on the 4th floor of the Ponce de Leon hotel where we’re staying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment