Saturday, February 11, 2012

En route to Winter Park

 
Friday, February 10, 2012 – En Route

At approximately 12 noon on Friday, we pulled out onto Beach Boulevard en route to our next destination, Winter Park.  Hoping to avoid the confusion of our trip from Sanford, I decided to put my complete faith in the GPS.  This time, I hid the two other sets of printed directions so I wouldn’t try to reconcile them with device’s instructions.  I appointed Elliott “Keeper of the Garmin” (a ceremonial position that involves removing the GPS from its faux leather case) and he did an admirable job.  Plugged into the cigarette lighter, the GPS didn’t run out of power.  And I’m pleased to say that I had no major meltdowns, and not even a minor one.  I had prepped well with a protein-intensive lunch at the hotel prior to departure.  (One of Robin’s Rules for Successful Travel:  always pack a few cans of sardines in your luggage.)  And to ensure no drowsiness during the trip, I followed up my 2 cups of breakfast coffee with iced tea at lunchtime.  It was a two-hour stress-free drive down 95 South and 4 West, the sun playing hide and seek with the clouds.  All in all, it was a blessedly boring trip. 

We’re now ensconced in our comfortably nondescript motel room in Winter Park.  After five days of intense activity, I’m looking forward to a relaxing afternoon with my Kindle before we check out the cultural scene tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment