Friday, February 3, 2012

Let's talk about food.

February 3 (2nd post)



Enough about my exhausting day.  Let’s talk about food.  One thing I love about getting ready for a long trip is that it gives me a perfect excuse to eat up all the food in the house.  Otherwise, it would just go to waste, right?  So anything perishable must be consumed within the 48 hours prior to departure.  Fortunately, we had help from Elisa and Matt, who came over for dinner last night.  I realized we had a lot of vegetables in the house, so I prepared roasted peppers and red onions, mashed sweet potatoes with olive oil and pomegranate molasses, and a Middle Eastern cabbage salad.  We also had to finish up a jar of olives, a container of hummus, a basket of grape tomatoes, a couple of apples, a grapefruit, and half a loaf of homemade poppy seed bread.  Of course, we couldn’t leave the ice cream in the freezer – it would be ruined if the electricity went out while we were gone.  And the three kinds of cookies that were open – they’d be stale by the time we returned, so we ate them, too.  Tomorrow morning, along with my oatmeal, I’ll have Greek yogurt with cucumbers, tuna fish with capers, and some cheese and crackers.  Hey, I’m feeling better already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment