Friday, August 17, 2012

Enough of that medical stuff!

 
Friday, August 17, 2012 – Enough of That Medical Stuff!

Just back from an early doctor’s appointment – this one was for me, not Elliott.  But now that I’m back, I’d better check on him because it must be time for some kind of meds – pain pills, antibiotic ointment in his eyes, earwax drops.  This has turned into 24/7 care, that’s for sure, but I refuse to let it turn me into a quasi-medical professional.  So enough of that medical stuff! 

Here in northern Virginia, we’re finally having the kind of summer weather I can embrace, especially in the morning, when the air is refreshingly inhalable.  (I extend my sympathies to those of you in the still-sweltering states.)

Realizing that this may be a temporary respite from the heat and humidity, I took a few hours yesterday for a mini end-of-summer-break adventure with my friend Cindy.  By the way, when I picked Cindy up at her house, I noticed how beautiful her plants looked.  Since my plants haven't fared so well this year, I asked her for the secret to her horticultural success.  She paused for a moment, then gave me a one word answer:  Water.  Now why didn't I think of that?   

No, these are not my plants.


Cindy and her garden

 Rather than schlepping into the district, we motored down to historic Occoquan, just about half a hour’s drive from home.  Three hours gave us plenty of time for lunch at Blue Arbor Café, a window-shopping stroll through town, visits to interesting boutiques and galleries, plus lots of school talk, which is inevitable when I get together with my former AHS colleagues.  
Looking out at the Occoquan River

Notice the lovely green tint on my forehead, a reminder of a recent close encounter with a ceramic soapdish.

Blue Arbor Café in Occoquan
Delicious lunch - gazpacho, veggie sandwich, Terra chips

Cindy and her salad


Although I don’t normally work out later in the day, I changed my schedule on Thursday to incorporate a 4 p.m. workout at Lifetime.  Then I caught up with Elliott when we sat down to a simple supper – a salad of baby lettuce, summer-ripe tomatoes, feta cheese, and crisp cucumbers; and my take on Danish smørrebrød (open-faced sandwiches): a thin slice of toasted whole grain bread, a shmear of kalamata-olive tapenade, a layer of hard-boiled egg slices, and a sprinkle of chopped parsley or a few sprigs of cress for color.  I should have taken a photo first, but I just went ahead and bit right in.  Mmm, don’t you just love hard-boiled eggs?  The yolks always look so bright and sunny! 

So Friday is coming to a close.  I’ve gotten a lot done today although I wish I had set aside time to go to my spirituality group meeting.  I also wish I’d spent more time reading – Pax Ethnica is a fascinating book.  I wish I’d put in a couple of hours in the studio, working on sketches for the new series of paintings.  But I know I can’t do everything in a single day.  There will be time Saturday, or Sunday.  The key is to maintain balance my life.  Balance feels so good; I feel so good.  And that’s me talking, not my anti-depressant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment